Intent to Ship: Encrypted Media Extension (EME) API with Widevine content decryption module (CDM) in Chrome for Android

punya...@chromium.org

Aug 19, 2013, 8:04:52 PM8/19/13
to blin...@chromium.org

Primary eng (and PM) emails

xhw...@chromium.org, ddo...@chromium.org, qin...@chromium.org, jlu...@chromium.org, punya...@chromium.org

Spec

https://dvcs.w3.org/hg/html-media/raw-file/tip/encrypted-media/encrypted-media.html

Summary

This feature intends to bring the Encrypted Media Extension API (EME) with the Widevine CDM to Chrome on Android. EME allows for playback of protected media content natively in the browser.

This specific EME for Chrome on Android intent-to-ship addresses the EME API with the Widevine CDM.
A separate intent-to-ship entitled implementing the baseline specification using a clear key system has also been created.

The content can be protected and encrypted in numerous methods and the EME specification "does not define a content protection or Digital Rights Management system. Rather it defines a common API that may be used to discover, select, and interact with such systems as well as with simpler content encryption systems. Implementation of Digital Rights Management is not required for compliance with this specification: only the simple clear key system is required to be implement as a common baseline" (source: Abstract from EME specification http://goo.gl/3Df8h)

Link to “Intent to Implement” blink-dev discussion

Not one specific to the Chrome on Android.

There was an intent to implement announcement to unprefix the EME API: http://goo.gl/Z9zo7V

The initial implementation on Chrome on Android will be prefixed. But once unprefixing is completed on desktops, it will carry over to Chrome on Android.

Is this feature supported on all five Blink platforms (Windows, Mac, Linux, Chrome OS and Android)?

No (referring to EME with the Widevine CDM but the baseline EME with Clear Key is supported on the other platforms except Android)

OWP launch tracking bug?

crbug.com/276989

Row on feature dashboard?

Yes. (There isn't one specific to Chrome on Android but a general feature does exist for the EME API.)

Glenn Adams

Aug 19, 2013, 8:20:03 PM8/19/13
to punya...@chromium.org, blink-dev
+1 (speaking as a committer)

Mark Pilgrim

Aug 20, 2013, 2:06:33 PM8/20/13
to punya...@chromium.org, blink-dev
I am opposed to this for all the reasons that Ian Hickson lists here:
https://plus.google.com/107429617152575897589/posts/iPmatxBYuj2

Also, your OWP launch tracking bug URL gives me a 404. Which seems
fitting, since DRM has no place in the Open Web Platform.

-Mark Pilgrim

punya...@chromium.org

Aug 20, 2013, 3:41:54 PM8/20/13
to blin...@chromium.org, punya...@chromium.org, pil...@google.com
Sorry. The correct OWP launch tracking bug: crbug.com/275989

/Ray

PhistucK

Aug 20, 2013, 4:12:11 PM8/20/13
to punya...@chromium.org, blink-dev
See my comment inline.

PhistucK

Am I understanding correctly? will the feature (Encrypted Media Extensions with the Widevine CDM) only be supported​ on Android?
Please, elaborate. This smells bad.

OWP launch tracking bug?

crbug.com/276989

Row on feature dashboard?

Yes. (There isn't one specific to Chrome on Android but a general feature does exist for the EME API.)

Eric Seidel

Aug 20, 2013, 6:41:52 PM8/20/13
to punya...@chromium.org, blink-dev
I'm curious what (if any) changes would be needed in Blink to support
this. It appears to me that the set of CDMs is abstracted away from
Blink (in the same sense as the set of installed certs, installed
plugins, installed fonts, etc. are a platform concern above Blink).

punya...@chromium.org

Aug 20, 2013, 7:46:05 PM8/20/13
to blin...@chromium.org, punya...@chromium.org
@PhistucK - With respect to your question whether EME with the Widevine CDM will only be supported on Android, the answer is no. Development is in progress for all platforms.

@Eric - Correct. There are no changes in Blink. This is just a notification that we are exposing this to the web platform on Android.

/Ray

Eric Seidel

Aug 20, 2013, 8:45:14 PM8/20/13
to punya...@chromium.org, blink-dev
Same as the other thread. I appreciate the PSA, but I don't believe
Blink's feature guidelines suggest you require any approval from Blink
API owners for this work:
http://www.chromium.org/blink#new-features

It seems like a product decision for Chrome on Android (or for Opera
or whichever product might use Blink) as to which CDM's they choose to
bundle with their product or not.

Thanks for the note.

PhistucK

Aug 21, 2013, 3:39:27 AM8/21/13
to punya...@chromium.org, blink-dev
Why not have all of the platforms ship together? we want to avoid this kind of fragmentation, I believe.

PhistucK

Elliott Sprehn

Aug 23, 2013, 12:12:11 AM8/23/13
to punya...@chromium.org, blink-dev
What's the compatibility story for this? Can Firefox on Android also ship the Widevine CDM?

grim...@gmail.com

Mar 5, 2014, 2:50:00 PM3/5/14
to blin...@chromium.org
What is it, what does it do, do I have to use, install or keep it?