Intent to Deprecate and Remove: Extra form data , if "value" attribute is present with non-empty value for <input type=”image”>

shanm...@samsung.com

Jan 22, 2018, 2:54:11 AM1/22/18
to blink-dev

Primary eng (and PM) emails

shanm...@samsung.com

Summary

As per spec,https://html.spec.whatwg.org/multipage/form-control-infrastructure.html#constructing-form-data-set,

- The image button matches the algorithm 3-3 "If the field element is an input element whose type attribute is in the Image Button state,"

- 3-3-7 directs to skip following steps ("Continue"), so 3-4 "Let name be the value of the field element's name attribute" and 3-9 "Otherwise, append an entry to the form data set ..." should be skipped.

- Therefore, the constructed "form data set" should not include the value of the image button.

Motivation

Consistency with spec.

Interoperability and Compatibility Risk

Firefox and Edge does not add extra form data, if ‘value’ attribute is present with non-empty value.

Edge: Shipped

Firefox: Shipped

Safari: No Signal

Web developers: Positive

Alternative implementation suggestion for web developers

None

Usage information from UseCounter

0.0158%

OWP launch tracking bug

http://crbug.com/753746

Entry on the feature dashboard

https://www.chromestatus.com/feature/5672688152477696

Requesting approval to remove too?

Yes, in M68.

TAMURA, Kent

Jan 23, 2018, 8:30:01 PM1/23/18
to Shanmuga, blink-dev
LGTM1 to remove in m68.
We send the extra data in 0.0158% page views, however I guess many sites just ignore it. The compatibility risk should be low.

TAMURA Kent
Software Engineer, Google

Rick Byers

Jan 23, 2018, 9:57:31 PM1/23/18
to TAMURA, Kent, Shanmuga, blink-dev
Are there web platform tests covering this behavior?

shanm...@samsung.com

Jan 24, 2018, 1:46:03 AM1/24/18
to blink-dev, tk...@chromium.org, shanm...@samsung.com

Are there web platform tests covering this behavior?

I didn't find any WPT test to cover this.

TAMURA, Kent

Jan 24, 2018, 2:55:45 AM1/24/18
to Shanmuga, blink-dev
I think we can add an automated test to WPT.  click() on an image input submits the form.

On Wed, Jan 24, 2018 at 3:46 PM, <shanm...@samsung.com> wrote:

Are there web platform tests covering this behavior?

I didn't find any WPT test to cover this.

shanm...@samsung.com

Jan 24, 2018, 3:36:27 AM1/24/18
to blink-dev, shanm...@samsung.com
Yes. we can add !!

Philip Jägenstedt

Jan 24, 2018, 9:23:13 AM1/24/18
to shanm...@samsung.com, blink-dev
LGTM2, glad to hear this is already testable using WPT. Sounds like we should expect that the test added would then pass everywhere except Safari, which could be a useful signal for prioritization in WebKit.

Rick Byers

Jan 24, 2018, 11:32:44 AM1/24/18
to Philip Jägenstedt, Shanmuga, blink-dev
LGTM3 with the test added.  Thanks!

nehte...@gmail.com

Jan 24, 2018, 4:27:55 PM1/24/18
to blin...@chromium.org

Hello!

I use a new email filtering service called BitBounce to better filter my spam. To deliver your email to my inbox, please click the link below and pay the small Credo fee. Thank you!

You can sign up or get more info about BitBounce by clicking here.

To deliver your email:

We’ve never met. I’ll pay your fee.

I know you. Add me to your whitelist.

Email That Pays