Intent to Deprecate and Remove: WheelEvent.initWebKitWheelEvent()

Philip Jägenstedt

Jul 28, 2014, 5:15:11 PM7/28/14
to blink-dev

Primary eng (and PM) emails

phi...@opera.com

Summary

Remove WheelEvent.initWebKitWheelEvent(), which can be used together with document.createEvent("WheelEvent") to create a synthetic wheel event.

Motivation

It is vendor-specific, usage is zero, and there is a working non-prefixed alternative.

Compatibility Risk

Insignificant given the usage.

Alternative implementation suggestion for web developers

Assuming that first two arguments to initWebKitWheelEvent() were rawDeltaX and rawDeltaY, instead do this:

var eventInit = { deltaX: -rawDeltaX, deltaY: -rawDeltaY }
var event = new WheelEvent("mousewheel", eventInit);

If the scripts depend on the non-standard wheelDeltaX/wheelDeltaY, note that wheelDeltaX = 120*rawDeltaX = -120*deltaX. They can be set via eventInit, but since they're non-standard, please don't.

Usage information from UseCounter

http://www.chromestatus.com/metrics/feature/timeline/popularity/385

Available in M38, and there have been no non-zero measurements yet.

Entry on chromestatus.com, crbug.com, or MDN

None.

Requesting approval to remove too?

Yes.

Eric Seidel

Jul 28, 2014, 5:16:42 PM7/28/14
to Philip Jägenstedt, blink-dev
We need to confirm once we have M38 data.  But otherwise lgtm.

Philip Jägenstedt

Jul 28, 2014, 5:27:37 PM7/28/14
to Eric Seidel, blink-dev
The other M38 counters have started to stabilize:
http://www.chromestatus.com/metrics/feature/timeline/popularity/343

Or do you mean the Android-specific data? That would be valuable, I agree.

Philip

Philip Jägenstedt

Jul 28, 2014, 5:31:10 PM7/28/14
to Eric Seidel, blink-dev
Sorry, my bad!

In the intents to remove "hspace/vspace", "Element.scrollByLines() and Element.scrollByPages()" and this the use counters are in M36, which just reached stable. I'll note that on the other threads as well :/

Philip

Tab Atkins Jr.

Jul 28, 2014, 8:06:38 PM7/28/14
to Philip Jägenstedt, blink-dev
LGTM

Jochen Eisinger

Jul 29, 2014, 5:01:46 AM7/29/14
to Tab Atkins Jr., Philip Jägenstedt, blink-dev
lgtm2

TAMURA, Kent

Jul 29, 2014, 10:10:46 AM7/29/14
to Jochen Eisinger, Tab Atkins Jr., Philip Jägenstedt, blink-dev
LGTM3.

--
TAMURA Kent
Software Engineer, Google