Intent to Implement & Ship: RTCCertificate.getFingerprints()

Henrik Boström

May 5, 2017, 9:35:46 AM5/5/17
to blink-dev

Contact emails

hb...@chromium.org, gui...@chromium.org

Spec

Summary

RTCCertificate is a certificate that has been generated by RTCPeerConnetion.generateCertificate(). RTCCertificate.getFingerprints() allows you to easily read the fingerprint of such a certificate, which is the text string hash that is used in the offer/answer SDP that is exchanged between clients that connect with each other.

Is this feature supported on all six Blink platforms (Windows, Mac, Linux, Chrome OS, Android, and Android WebView)?

Yes.

Interoperability and Compatibility Risk

Edge: No signals

Firefox: Public support

Safari: No signals

Web developers: No signals

No. I filed https://github.com/w3c/web-platform-tests/issues/5796

OWP launch tracking bug

Entry on the feature dashboard

Tim Panton

May 6, 2017, 12:25:42 PM5/6/17
to blink-dev
I'm a web developer, and this would save me considerable pain.
Currently we create (or retrieve from indexdb) a certificate, set it on a peerconnection and create a dummy offer,
we then parse the resulting SDP to get the certificate's fingerprint.

Positive signal here....

T.

Jochen Eisinger

May 9, 2017, 12:39:23 PM5/9/17
to Tim Panton, blink-dev
Henrik, can you please point me at the security review of the certificate system for RTC?

Henrik Boström

May 23, 2017, 7:29:18 AM5/23/17
to blink-dev, tim.p...@gmail.com
This should have no new security implications. As Tim pointed out, the fingerprint information is already accessible through some hassle involving parsing SDP. That said I'll try to point you to previous security reviews, I just need to figure out who to ask, cc'd you to an email.

In the meantime, PTAL?

Philip Jägenstedt

May 23, 2017, 7:35:02 AM5/23/17
to Henrik Boström, blink-dev, tim.p...@gmail.com
LGTM1 conditional on Jochen being happy with the security review.

https://github.com/w3c/web-platform-tests/issues/5796 should get resolved by the ongoing effort to write tests for WebRTC, commented.

Jochen Eisinger

May 24, 2017, 4:08:01 PM5/24/17
to Philip Jägenstedt, Henrik Boström, blink-dev, tim.p...@gmail.com
lgtm2 - still working with Henrik et al to hunt down the original security review, but I don't think this particular feature needs to be blocked on that

Rick Byers

May 24, 2017, 9:59:46 PM5/24/17
to Jochen Eisinger, Philip Jägenstedt, Henrik Boström, blink-dev, tim.p...@gmail.com