Intent to Deprecate and Remove: HTMLFrameElement.location

Philip Jägenstedt

Mar 26, 2014, 5:33:20 AM3/26/14
to blink-dev

Primary eng (and PM) emails

phi...@opera.com

Summary

Remove the attribute DOMString location from HTMLFrameElement.

Motivation

This is a Blink/WebKit-only API, not implemented in Firefox Nightly or IE11.

Compatibility Risk

The implementation (HTMLFrameElementBase::setLocation) will navigate the frame. Failure to do so will leave any page that depends on the API in a broken state.

Alternative implementation suggestion for web developers

Set HTMLFrameElement.src instead. It uses setLocation internally.

Usage information from UseCounter

http://www.chromestatus.com/metrics/feature/timeline/popularity/197

That's between 0.0001% and 0.0003%, but its curious that the percentage looks quantized to increments of 0.0001. Maybe a limitation of the scripts in use?

This counter is in M33:

http://src.chromium.org/viewvc/blink/branches/chromium/1750/Source/core/frame/UseCounter.h

If someone wants to check the stats for stable only, that would be nice, but this far below the threshold it seems unlikely to matter.

Entry on chromestatus.com and/or MDN

No.

Requesting approval to remove too?

Yes, requesting immediate removal since usage is so low.

Jochen Eisinger

Mar 26, 2014, 5:35:28 AM3/26/14
to Philip Jägenstedt, blink-dev
lgtm

Erik Arvidsson

Mar 26, 2014, 10:11:40 AM3/26/14
to Jochen Eisinger, Philip Jägenstedt, blink-dev
Seems safe to me too.
--
erik

Anton Vayvod

Mar 26, 2014, 10:23:15 AM3/26/14
to Erik Arvidsson, Jochen Eisinger, Philip Jägenstedt, blink-dev
Is anyone working on enabling chromestatus.com dashboards to give sliced data per platform?
Given the story with webkitEnterFullscreen, I'd like someone to take a look at Android data before giving LGTMs based on the raw usage counter (I have no idea how to do it myself).

Anton Vayvod

Mar 26, 2014, 10:39:07 AM3/26/14
to Erik Arvidsson, Jochen Eisinger, Philip Jägenstedt, blink-dev
So thanks to Peter Beverloo I now have an idea on how to do it and the UseCounter for Android looks below 0.000008% so not an issue in this case.

I'd like to see 1) this filtering functionality on chromestatus.com so it's available for non-Googlers and 2) Android/other platforms being included in Intent To Remove emails (likewise the Intent to Implement/Ship emails).

Does it make sense? Who could make 1) a reality?

Eric Seidel

Mar 26, 2014, 11:05:41 AM3/26/14
to Anton Vayvod, Erik Arvidsson, Jochen Eisinger, Philip Jägenstedt, blink-dev, Eric Bidelman
The authors of the dashboard are tracking the issue:
https://github.com/GoogleChrome/chromium-dashboard/issues/6

Max Heinritz

Mar 31, 2014, 8:31:22 PM3/31/14
to Eric Seidel, Anton Vayvod, Erik Arvidsson, Jochen Eisinger, Philip Jägenstedt, blink-dev, Eric Bidelman
Issue 6 is actually for the "Feature View" at chromestatus.com/features: we want folks to be able to filter for features based on platform.  I updated the title to be more clear.

I filed another issue for filtering in metrics view:  https://github.com/GoogleChrome/chromium-dashboard/issues/108

Eric Seidel

Mar 31, 2014, 8:53:01 PM3/31/14
to Max Heinritz, Anton Vayvod, Erik Arvidsson, Jochen Eisinger, Philip Jägenstedt, blink-dev, Eric Bidelman
I just confirmed that there is even less usage of this feature on
Android. Well under "0%" LGTM.

Eric Seidel

Mar 31, 2014, 8:53:51 PM3/31/14
to Max Heinritz, Anton Vayvod, Erik Arvidsson, Jochen Eisinger, Philip Jägenstedt, blink-dev, Eric Bidelman
To be more specific, I looked at the M33 (stable) numbers for both
Windows and Android. Both were well under the "0%" threshold
displayed on chromestatus.com.

Ojan Vafai

Mar 31, 2014, 8:55:52 PM3/31/14
to Eric Seidel, Max Heinritz, Anton Vayvod, Erik Arvidsson, Jochen Eisinger, Philip Jägenstedt, blink-dev, Eric Bidelman
I got 0.00001% from the latest android stable release. In either case, LGTM3.