Intent to Remove: document.createEvent('WebKitAnimationEvent')

TAMURA, Kent

Apr 14, 2017, 3:36:44 AM4/14/17
to blink-dev
Primary eng (and PM) emails

Link to “Intent to Deprecate” thread
None. I think sudden removal is ok in this case.

Summary
document.createEvent() supports only limited set of events.[1]
However, we support non-standard document.createEvent('WebKitAnimationEvent'). We'd like to remove it.

Motivation
Remove non-standard feature.

Interoperability and Compatibility Risk
Very low. No other browsers ship this feature now, and usage counter is extremely low.

Edge: Not supported.
Firefox: Not supported.
Safari: Not supported.

Alternative implementation suggestion for web developers
Unprefixed document.createEvent('AnimationEvent') works.  However, creating such event doesn't make sense in general.

Usage information from UseCounter
0%.

OWP launch tracking bug

Entry on the feature dashboard

--
TAMURA Kent
Software Engineer, Google

Philip Jägenstedt

Apr 14, 2017, 3:50:11 AM4/14/17
to TAMURA, Kent, blink-dev
LGTM1, even if we end up keeping the WebKitAnimationEvent alias of AnimationEvent (hope not) there's no reason to keep the document.createEvent bit when not even WebKit supports it any longer.

Chris Harrelson

Apr 14, 2017, 11:20:23 AM4/14/17
to Philip Jägenstedt, TAMURA, Kent, blink-dev
LGTM2

Dimitri Glazkov

Apr 14, 2017, 11:23:12 AM4/14/17
to Chris Harrelson, Philip Jägenstedt, TAMURA, Kent, blink-dev
LGTM3