Intent to Deprecate: Prefixed Touch attributes

Mustaq Ahmed

May 28, 2015, 5:08:25 PM5/28/15
to blink-dev

Primary contact

mus...@chromium.org

Summary

Deprecate the prefixed versions of four touch attributes in Touch Event: radiusX, radiusY, rotationAngle, force. Spec: http://rawgit.com/w3c/touch-events/master/touchevents.html#touch-interface

Motivation

Cleanup the API before these attributes get popular. The prefixed & unprefixed versions of the attributes are identical, so there is no point keeping both versions.

Compatibility Risk

Low. We don’t expect anything to break because the unprefixed radiusX, radiusY and force attributes are available for about a year already. Unprefixed rotationAngle will be made available before this deprecation, and only a few devices (e.g. Nexus 10) can sense touch orientation now; we are not aware of any real usage of the prefixed rotationAngle attribute.

Alternative implementation suggestion for web developers

The unprefixed versions of the attributes are already available, which are identical to the prefixed ones.

Usage information from UseCounter

radiusX: https://www.chromestatus.com/metrics/feature/timeline/popularity/378
radiusY: https://www.chromestatus.com/metrics/feature/timeline/popularity/379
rotationAngle: https://www.chromestatus.com/metrics/feature/timeline/popularity/380
force: https://www.chromestatus.com/metrics/feature/timeline/popularity/381

Entries on the feature dashboard

N/A

Requesting approval to remove too?

Not yet.

Philip Jägenstedt

May 28, 2015, 5:41:31 PM5/28/15
to Mustaq Ahmed, blink-dev
LGTM. To make it clear that action is required it helps to include the date for removal in the deprecation messages. Two release cycles seems quite enough, so based on some earlier guesses I suggest:

"'Touch.webkitRadiusX' is deprecated and will be removed in M47, around November 2015. Please use 'Touch.radiusX' instead."

Mustaq Ahmed

May 29, 2015, 9:57:13 AM5/29/15
to Philip Jägenstedt, blink-dev
Thanks Philip, two release cycles is exactly what we planned.

Mustaq

Mustaq Ahmed

Sep 14, 2015, 10:19:11 AM9/14/15
to Philip Jägenstedt, blink-dev
A quick heads-up: it's time to nuke the prefixed touch attributes, to land the changes in M47 (two release cycles after deprecation).

Philip, I will send you a CL soon.

Mustaq

Philip Jägenstedt

Sep 14, 2015, 11:11:42 AM9/14/15
to Mustaq Ahmed, blink-dev
LGTM, but so that it ends up as a new entry in the bit.ly/blinkintents, can you send a separate intent to remove for this?

Chris Harrelson

Sep 14, 2015, 11:47:45 AM9/14/15
to Philip Jägenstedt, Mustaq Ahmed, blink-dev
(It also needs 3 LGTMs.)