Intent to Continue Experimenting : WebXR Device API

Chris Wilson

Sep 4, 2018, 1:00:33 PM9/4/18
to blink-dev, Brandon Jones, Eric Deily

Contact emails

baj...@chromium.org, cwi...@chromium.org, eri...@chromium.org

Spec

-WebXR : https://immersive-web.github.io/webxr/spec/latest/ (explainer)

Summary

An Origin Trial for WebXR was originally launched in Chrome 67. From that experiment we learned that there was not much developer interest until we could provide comparable feature capability for WebVR, most notably around Input (see public discussion -> https://github.com/immersive-web/proposals/issues/17).

As the spec continues to evolve (main changes tracked here), we want to provide another chance via origin trial for developers to try out the new API shape and have the chance to provide input on current limited input capabilities on the advanced input proposal.

Link to “Intent to Implement” blink-dev discussion

https://groups.google.com/a/chromium.org/forum/#!topic/blink-dev/XMLgC_SR0dw

Goals for experimentation

Continue to seek input on WebXR Device API ergonomics, as well as look for feedback on simple input as a means of validating the more advanced input API proposal. Now that WebVR is no longer supported, we hope to get more participants working with WebXR Device.

Experimental timeline

Enabled : Chrome 70-71 (inclusive)

  • 13 SEP 2018 : Chrome 70 Beta push

  • 11 OCT 2018 : Chrome 71 branch to Dev

  • 16 OCT 2018 : Chrome 70 Stable*

  • 04 DEC 2018 : Chrome 71 Stable*

Disabled :

  • 29 NOV 2018 : Chrome 72 branch to Dev

  • 29 JAN 2019 : Chrome 72 Stable*

*Stable dates are estimates: https://www.chromium.org/developers/calendar.

Any risks when the experiment finishes?

Unless the API transitions to stable, sites will lose the ability to interact with VR hardware. Given that hardware availability is limited we are encouraging developers to write responsive content that can account for its absence, but anything that relies on VR features would stop working.

Reason this experiment is being extended

As mentioned previously, we would like to extend the trial to allow us to get feedback on the shape of the new WebXR Device API, including specific feedback on the currently limited input capabilities to drive feedback into the public forum. This feedback would then be included in subsequent experiments/trials.

Ongoing technical constraints

none

Will this feature be supported on all five Blink platforms supported by Origin Trials (Windows, Mac, Linux, Chrome OS, and Android)?

The WebXR trial will include both Android & Windows platforms. We do intend to evaluate support on any platforms that gain VR hardware support in the future.

Link to entry on the feature dashboard

OWP launch tracking bug : https://crbug.com/864810

Intent : https://www.chromestatus.com/feature/5680169905815552 (WebXR)

Yoav Weiss

Sep 6, 2018, 4:34:05 AM9/6/18
to Chris Wilson, blink-dev, Brandon Jones, Eric Deily
On Tue, Sep 4, 2018 at 7:00 PM Chris Wilson <cwi...@chromium.org> wrote:

Contact emails

baj...@chromium.org, cwi...@chromium.org, eri...@chromium.org

Spec

-WebXR : https://immersive-web.github.io/webxr/spec/latest/ (explainer)

Summary

An Origin Trial for WebXR was originally launched in Chrome 67. From that experiment we learned that there was not much developer interest until we could provide comparable feature capability for WebVR, most notably around Input (see public discussion -> https://github.com/immersive-web/proposals/issues/17).

As the spec continues to evolve (main changes tracked here), we want to provide another chance via origin trial for developers to try out the new API shape and have the chance to provide input on current limited input capabilities on the advanced input proposal.

Are there developers active in the space that are likely to experiment with the new API shape?

[...]

Do you have reason to believe developers would use the trialed API in production?

[...]

Alex Russell

Sep 6, 2018, 8:09:22 PM9/6/18
to blink-dev, cwi...@chromium.org, baj...@chromium.org, eri...@chromium.org
LGTM1, however (per Yoav's comments) I'd also like to understand how popular the previous trial has been and if we're generating valuable feedback as a result of it.

Ian Clelland

Sep 7, 2018, 8:33:04 AM9/7/18
to Alex Russell, blink-dev, cwi...@chromium.org, baj...@chromium.org, eri...@chromium.org
From the Origin Trials side, we saw ~100 token requests for WevXR device, and ~40 for the Gamepad API, so significantly fewer than the ~900 that were issued for the various WebVR trials. However, there appears to be developer interest in continuing to use VR technologies, as we have been receiving requests from developers who have noticed that the WebVR trial is ending in M69 for either an extension of that trial, or guidance on migrating to XR. I expect that we'll see more of these requests as M69 continues to roll out, and when the tokens that were valid in M68 expire on the 11th.

Chris Wilson

Sep 7, 2018, 12:16:19 PM9/7/18
to icle...@chromium.org, Alex Russell, blink-dev, Chris Wilson, baj...@chromium.org, eri...@chromium.org
Thanks, Ian.  Yes, we're actually working with several partners who are interested in delivering production experiences during the OT time frame as well as what we expect will be a stronger interest from those who didn't realize the WebVR trial was ending.

Chris Wilson

Sep 10, 2018, 6:23:58 PM9/10/18
to Chris Wilson, icle...@chromium.org, Alex Russell, blink-dev, Brandon Jones, Eric Deily
Also I should have added, we intend to continue the WebXRGamepad extensions as well:

-Gamepad Extensions : https://w3c.github.io/gamepad/extensions.html

Summary

An Origin Trial for WebXR Gamepad Extensions was originally launched in Chrome 67. From that experiment we learned that there was not much developer interest until we moved more developers from WebVR to WebXR.

As the WebXR spec continues to evolve (main changes tracked here), we want to extend the trial to bridge the gap on input as we gather more feedback on the ideal shape for input controllers in WebXR (public discussion: https://github.com/immersive-web/proposals/issues/17).  This will enable developers who had been using advanced input and WebVR to try out the API shape and provide feedback on current limited input capabilities on the advanced input proposal.

Link to “Intent to Implement” blink-dev discussion

https://groups.google.com/a/chromium.org/forum/#!msg/blink-dev/7TWtMJffZno/6PIypcG0AgAJ

Goals for experimentation

Continue to seek input on WebXR Gamepad Extension ergonomics, especially feedback on the more advanced input API proposal.

Experimental timeline

Enabled : Chrome 70-71 (inclusive)

  • 13 SEP 2018 : Chrome 70 Beta push

  • 11 OCT 2018 : Chrome 71 branch to Dev

  • 16 OCT 2018 : Chrome 70 Stable*

  • 04 DEC 2018 : Chrome 71 Stable*

Disabled :

  • 29 NOV 2018 : Chrome 72 branch to Dev

  • 29 JAN 2019 : Chrome 72 Stable*

*Stable dates are estimates: https://www.chromium.org/developers/calendar.

Any risks when the experiment finishes?

Unless the API transitions to stable, or we give a clear input replacement in WebXR, sites will lose the ability to interact with advanced VR input hardware.

Reason this experiment is being extended

As mentioned previously, we would like to extend the trial to allow us to get feedback on the shape of the new WebXR Device API, while continuing to provide more advanced input capabilities to drive the design of WebXR’s input API. This feedback would then be included in subsequent experiments/trials.

Ongoing technical constraints

none

Will this feature be supported on all five Blink platforms supported by Origin Trials (Windows, Mac, Linux, Chrome OS, and Android)?

The WebXR trial will include both Android & Windows platforms. We do intend to evaluate support on any platforms that gain VR hardware support in the future.

Link to entry on the feature dashboard

Rick Byers

Sep 12, 2018, 9:31:49 AM9/12/18
to Chris Wilson, Chris Wilson, Ian Clelland, Alex Russell, blink-dev, baj...@chromium.org, eri...@chromium.org
LGTM to trial gamepad as well (in addition to Alex's LGTM to extend the device API trial).

Chris Wilson

Sep 12, 2018, 12:10:51 PM9/12/18
to Rick Byers, Chris Wilson, icle...@chromium.org, Alex Russell, blink-dev, baj...@chromium.org, eri...@chromium.org
Thanks!