Intent to Implement: CSS hyphens property

Koji Ishii

Apr 22, 2016, 2:21:25 AM4/22/16
to blink-dev, eae, Dominik Röttsches, sza...@chromium.org
ko...@chromium.org,dr...@chromium.org,sza...@chromium.org https://drafts.csswg.org/css-text-3/#propdef-hyphens This CSS property controls automatic hyphenations.
The automatic hyphenation is strongly demanded on smaller screens or when used with multi-column. This is already supported by all other major browsers, and the meta bug for our previous try crbug.com/47083 has 157 stars.
Firefox: Shipped Edge: Shipped (prefixed) Safari: Shipped (prefixed) Web developers: Strongly positive

Low-to-no interoperability risk. This property is already shipped in all major browsers and the behavior is simple to turn on/off, or ignore soft-hyphens.
Low-to-no compatibility risk. Firefox shipped without prefix, and the spec is in Last Call.
None.
No, at this moment.
The automatic hyphenation requires dictionaries. Currently, Mac and Android M MR1 have the dictionaries built into the platform while others don't. We will send Intent-to-Ship when we investigate more on such other platforms.
Please refer to the design document for more details.
http://crbug.com/605840 https://www.chromestatus.com/features/5642121184804864
No. Please see the platform section above.

Christian Biesinger

Apr 22, 2016, 4:26:20 PM4/22/16
to Koji Ishii, blink-dev, eae, Dominik Röttsches, Stefan Zager
Yay!

As for other platforms, Linux in this case, I have several
hyphen-related packages installed. Could any of them be used? Maybe
they're not installed commonly enough?

$ dpkg -l | grep hyphen
ii hyphen-en-us
2.8.6-3ubuntu2 all US
English hyphenation patterns for LibreOffice/OpenOffice.org
ii libhyphen0
2.8.6-3ubuntu2 amd64
ALTLinux hyphenation library - shared library
ii openoffice.org-hyphenation 0.7.1
all Hyphenation
patterns for OpenOffice.org

-Christian

Glenn Adams

Apr 22, 2016, 4:54:18 PM4/22/16
to blink-dev
LGTM

On Friday, April 22, 2016 at 12:21:25 AM UTC-6, Koji Ishii wrote:
ko...@chromium.org,drott@chromium.org,szager@chromium.org https://drafts.csswg.org/css-text-3/#propdef-hyphens This CSS property controls automatic hyphenations.