Intent to Implement - Gamepad Touchpad

steve....@sony.com

May 15, 2018, 1:38:50 PM5/15/18
to blink-dev

Contact emails

steve....@sony.com aixi...@sony.com kelvi...@sony.com

Spec

https://github.com/knyg/gamepad/

Summary

The Gamepad specification includes a description of the buttons and axes expected to be present on a standard gamepad. The Gamepad specification will be extended to describe the touchpads available on some gamepads and to add a new API that supports basic touch inputs.

Motivation

Support for gamepads with touchpads enables game developers to create game experiences that are not currently possible with the existing API.  A limited level of support could be provided via extending gamepad buttons and axes, but this solution would create more of a burden on the application side.  Additionally, without a specification, browser implementations can diverge creating inconsistency which creates an even greater burden for the application. Providing a specific touchpad API will ease application implementation while providing greater functionality.

Risks

As this is a new feature, the main risk is lack of adoption. However, this risk is mitigated because touch based gestures are typically a progressive enhancement of the user experience.

Yes.

Link to entry on the feature dashboard

https://www.chromestatus.com/feature/4782975812108288

Requesting approval to ship?

No

Mounir Lamouri

May 16, 2018, 5:29:00 AM5/16/18
to steve....@sony.com, blink-dev
I can't find an explainer or a draft of the API changes. Do you have something for us all to look at?

-- Mounir
> --
> https://groups.google.com/a/chromium.org/d/msgid/blink-dev/b1475bd1-537f-4db1-856d-e3b233237649%40chromium.org.

Ian Kilpatrick

May 16, 2018, 12:05:16 PM5/16/18
to mou...@lamouri.fr, steve....@sony.com, blink-dev
Hi,

Can you make sure that you follow the intent to implement process specified here?

Specifically filing a TAG review, and having an explainer of the changes - before landing any code would be good.

Thanks,
Ian

PhistucK

May 16, 2018, 12:30:21 PM5/16/18
to Ian Kilpatrick, Mounir Lamouri, steve....@sony.com, blink-dev
Congratulations on your first intent (woo hoo, Sony!)!

Plus, either re-send this with a colon (Intent to ship:) instead of space-and-dash (Intent to ship -) in the subject, otherwise the automated intent tracking scripts will not see this intent, or make sure that someone adds this intent to the intent list.

Thank you!

PhistucK

Yoav Weiss

May 17, 2018, 3:38:07 AM5/17/18
to PhistucK, Ian Kilpatrick, Mounir Lamouri, steve....@sony.com, blink-dev

steve....@sony.com

May 17, 2018, 1:37:12 PM5/17/18
to blink-dev, ikilp...@chromium.org, mou...@lamouri.fr, steve....@sony.com
Thanks!

Will resend with the correct subject line using a colon and link to an explainer.

Daniel Vogelheim

May 28, 2018, 11:56:48 AM5/28/18
to steve....@sony.com, blink-dev
This sounds like it would increase the finger-printing surface quite a bit. Could you please add a 'privacy & security' section to one of the docs?

For Chromium, I think most hardware access (camera, microphone, USB, Bluetooth, etc.) already requires a per-site permission drop-down ("This page is accessing..."). If gamepads are already covered by one of those, this would be a good solution for the finger-printing issue.