Intent to Remove: Apple-interchange-newline, Apple-converted-space, Apple-paste-as-quotation, Apple-style-span, and Apple-tab-span CSS classes

Joone Hur

Feb 14, 2017, 5:15:25 PM2/14/17
to blink-dev

Contact emails

joon...@intel.com, yo...@chromium.org

Summary

Remove the Blink specific CSS classes: Apple-interchange-newline, Apple-converted-space, Apple-paste-as-quotation, Apple-style-span, and Apple-tab-span.

Motivation

Apple-style-span CSS class has not been generated since 2011:

https://webkit.org/blog/1737/apple-style-span-is-gone/

But, there is still the legacy code to deal with Apple-style-span class in editing.

We can also remove Apple-interchange-newline, Apple-converted-space, Apple-paste-as-quotation, and Apple-tab-span CSS classes for web platform compatibility.

Compatibility And Interoperability Risk

Low. Usage has been below the threshold for removal

Usage information from UseCounter

EditingAppleInterchangeNewline  0.0131%

EditingAppleConvertedSpace 0.0010%

EditingAppleTabSpanClass <=0.0001%

EditingApplePasteAsQuotation <=0.0001%
EditingAppleStyleSpanClass <=0.0001%

OWP launch tracking bug

https://crbug.com/383677

Entry on the feature dashboard

https://www.chromestatus.com/metrics/feature/popularity#EditingApplePasteAsQuotation

https://www.chromestatus.com/metrics/feature/popularity#EditingAppleStyleSpanClass

https://www.chromestatus.com/metrics/feature/popularity#EditingAppleTabSpanClass

https://www.chromestatus.com/metrics/feature/popularity#EditingAppleInterchangeNewline

https://www.chromestatus.com/metrics/feature/popularity#EditingAppleConvertedSpace

Chris Harrelson

Feb 15, 2017, 12:00:57 AM2/15/17
to Joone Hur, blink-dev
LGTM1

TAMURA, Kent

Feb 15, 2017, 12:38:26 AM2/15/17
to Chris Harrelson, Joone Hur, blink-dev
LGTM2.

> EditingAppleInterchangeNewline  0.0131%
> EditingAppleConvertedSpace 0.0010%
> EditingAppleTabSpanClass <=0.0001%
> EditingApplePasteAsQuotation <=0.0001%
> EditingAppleStyleSpanClass <=0.0001%

Do they count pages in which Blink editing code produces these classes?
--
TAMURA Kent
Software Engineer, Google

Joone Hur

Feb 15, 2017, 2:54:10 PM2/15/17
to blink-dev, chri...@chromium.org, joon...@intel.com
No, those classes are counted when Blink editing handles them in existing web pages.

FYI, Blink still produces EditingAppleTabSpanClass, EditingAppleInterchangeNewline, and EditingAppleConvertedSpace class.
WebKit may also produce them.
LGTM1

TAMURA, Kent

Feb 15, 2017, 5:34:15 PM2/15/17
to Joone Hur, blink-dev, Chris Harrelson
I see.  Thanks.

Please make a chromestatus.com entry for this change, and describe what will happen in pages with these classes.

Philip Jägenstedt

Feb 16, 2017, 12:33:07 AM2/16/17
to TAMURA, Kent, Joone Hur, blink-dev, Chris Harrelson
LGTM3. Even if we can't get rid of all the non-standard bits here, the more that can be removed, the less there is to eventually become a compat problem for others.

Joone Hur

Feb 16, 2017, 2:46:02 PM2/16/17
to blink-dev, joon...@intel.com, chri...@chromium.org

Joe Medley

Feb 21, 2017, 11:32:49 AM2/21/17
to Joone Hur, blink-dev, Chris Harrelson
This is complete removal in 58, correct? No deprecation period?

Joe

Joe Medley | Technical Writer, Chrome DevRel | jme...@google.com | 816-678-7195
If an API's not documented it doesn't exist.