Intent to Deprecate and Remove: Node.isSupported

Philip Jägenstedt

Jan 16, 2014, 1:52:11 AM1/16/14
to blink-dev

Primary eng (and PM) emails

phi...@opera.com

Summary

Remove this from the Node interface:

boolean isSupported([Default=Undefined] optional DOMString feature,

                    [TreatNullAs=NullString,Default=Undefined] optional DOMString version)

Motivation

This function was removed from the DOM Living Standard <http://dom.spec.whatwg.org>

It merely forwards to DOMImplementation.hasFeature, which is in turn spec'd as a hard-coded list of "features" to support.

This is old-school feature detection which doesn't work.

Usage information from UseCounter

This was on pdr's list <http://crbug.com/332191> of features which are "unused or have extremely low usage numbers". I don't have the exact numbers. This counter was in Chrome 31, so there's no need to wait any longer.

Compatibility Risk

Any scripts that call e.g. elm.isSupported(...) will throw an exception. Node that Firefox Nightly doesn't support this API, so it cannot be a big problem.

Row on feature dashboard?

No.

Requesting approval to remove too?

Yes, I'd like to remove the feature immediately with no deprecation period.

Adam Barth

Jan 16, 2014, 1:56:38 AM1/16/14
to Philip Jägenstedt, blink-dev
LGTM.  Feature that have been removed from the spec and are never called seem like good candidates to remove.  :)

Eric Seidel

Jan 16, 2014, 1:58:33 AM1/16/14
to Adam Barth, Philip Jägenstedt, blink-dev
lgtm2.

TAMURA, Kent

Jan 16, 2014, 1:59:46 AM1/16/14
to Eric Seidel, Adam Barth, Philip Jägenstedt, blink-dev
LGTM3.

--
TAMURA Kent
Software Engineer, Google

Jochen Eisinger

Jan 16, 2014, 2:00:23 AM1/16/14
to Eric Seidel, blink-dev, Philip Jägenstedt, Adam Barth

lgtm3