Proposal: **delete test_shell.exe** [Was: Removing layout test functionality from test_shell.exe]

Darin Fisher

May 6, 2013, 3:56:16 PM5/6/13
to Jochen Eisinger, Dirk Pranke, blink-dev
Please let me know if you object.  The clock is ticking...

-Darin

On Mon, May 6, 2013 at 12:54 PM, Darin Fisher <da...@chromium.org> wrote:
OK, I'm game.  I'll start a new thread to make sure everyone sees it.

On Mon, May 6, 2013 at 12:51 PM, Jochen Eisinger <joc...@chromium.org> wrote:
I would also argue for deleting it right away

-jochen

On Mon, May 6, 2013 at 9:50 PM, Darin Fisher <da...@chromium.org> wrote:
I think we should ultimately do that, but I'm happy to take baby steps.

-Darin

On Mon, May 6, 2013 at 12:49 PM, Dirk Pranke <dpr...@chromium.org> wrote:
Why not delete test_shell.exe altogether?

-- Dirk

On Mon, May 6, 2013 at 12:48 PM, Darin Fisher <da...@chromium.org> wrote:
Would anyone object to the removal of layout test functionality from test_shell.exe?

It seems like the bots have long been using DumpRenderTree.exe in place of test_shell.exe, and we are on the cusp of replacing that with content_shell.exe.

content_shell.exe, like test_shell.exe, can be used to view the layout test as it is running.

Going once, going twice...

-Darin

Elliott Sprehn

May 6, 2013, 3:57:56 PM5/6/13
to Darin Fisher, Levi Weintraub, Isaac Levy, Jochen Eisinger, Dirk Pranke, blink-dev
We should delete all the desktop variants of it. I think some people were building TestShell for Android, don't know if that's related? leviw or ilevy might know.

Dimitri Glazkov

May 6, 2013, 3:58:56 PM5/6/13
to Darin Fisher, Jochen Eisinger, Dirk Pranke, blink-dev
+1.

Adam Barth

May 6, 2013, 4:02:27 PM5/6/13
to Elliott Sprehn, Darin Fisher, Levi Weintraub, Isaac Levy, Jochen Eisinger, Dirk Pranke, blink-dev
TestShell for Android is a different beast with the same name.  TestShell for Android is higher on the stack than ContentShell whereas the Desktop version of TestShell is lower on the stack.  :)

Adam

Levi Weintraub

May 6, 2013, 4:03:45 PM5/6/13
to Dimitri Glazkov, Darin Fisher, Jochen Eisinger, Dirk Pranke, blink-dev
We have ContentShell for Android, although you *can* build test shell as well. I only use ContenShell.

Jochen Eisinger

May 6, 2013, 4:05:49 PM5/6/13
to Adam Barth, Elliott Sprehn, Darin Fisher, Levi Weintraub, Isaac Levy, Dirk Pranke, blink-dev
Yes, the target is chromium_testshell which is different from the desktop-only test shell

Darin Fisher

May 7, 2013, 2:18:29 AM5/7/13
to Jochen Eisinger, Dirk Pranke, blink-dev
Here's the CL:

It probably makes sense to move the remaining code to webkit/support/, where it is needed to support DRT.

-Darin

Darin Fisher

May 8, 2013, 4:40:24 PM5/8/13
to Jochen Eisinger, Dirk Pranke, blink-dev

Antoine Labour

May 8, 2013, 4:44:39 PM5/8/13
to Darin Fisher, Jochen Eisinger, Dirk Pranke, blink-dev
On Wed, May 8, 2013 at 1:40 PM, Darin Fisher <da...@chromium.org> wrote:

And there was much rejoicing.

Antoine