Intent to Extend Origin Trial - Media Capabilities: decoding

Husain Bengali

Jan 12, 2018, 12:45:42 PM1/12/18
to blink-dev, Mounir Lamouri, Chrome Cunningham
Contact emails

Summary

An Origin Trial for Media Capabilities (decoding) started on 2017-11-23 and is currently scheduled to end on 2018-01-15. Due to delays in getting key partners to start experimenting, we have not yet received sufficient feedback. As a result, we intend to extend the Origin Trial in Chrome through till the time M66 goes to stable around 2018-04-12 (building in a significant buffer for any further delays).

Link to “Intent to Implement” blink-dev discussion

https://groups.google.com/a/chromium.org/d/msg/blink-dev/EAqWCAdw1lI/zk3MvsBbCQAJ

Link to original “Intent to Experiment” blink-dev discussion

https://groups.google.com/a/chromium.org/d/msg/blink-dev/dsdTLv33r4w/-SUKCfGkAwAJ

Goals for experimentation (unchanged from original intent to experiment)

Validate that the API provides sufficient and reliable enough information for video serving sites using it to deliver an improved user experience (example signals: fewer dropped frames, higher watch time). This will be measured by video sites that join the origin trial and choose to share their internally measured results and feedback.

Experimental timeline

Origin trial began 2017-11-23

Origin trial planned conclusion with M66 stable (around 2018-04-12)

Any risks when the experiment finishes?

No significant risks - video providers can fall back to their current behavior in case we need to disable the origin trial.

Ongoing technical constraints

None

Will this feature be supported on all five Blink platforms supported by Origin Trials (Windows, Mac, Linux, Chrome OS, and Android)?

Yes

OWP launch tracking bug

https://crbug.com/690364

Link to entry on the feature dashboard

https://www.chromestatus.com/feature/5869632707624960

Philip Jägenstedt

Jan 16, 2018, 8:40:58 AM1/16/18
to Husain Bengali, blink-dev, Mounir Lamouri, Chrome Cunningham
We're now one day past 2018-01-15, but LGTM. Was the trial already extended awaiting a reaction here, or will there be a hickup?

Ian Clelland

Jan 16, 2018, 9:50:44 AM1/16/18
to Allen Robinson, hben...@chromium.org, blink-dev, mlam...@chromium.org, chcunn...@chromium.org, Philip Jägenstedt
+Allen -- do you know if the Media Capabilities trial has been extended in the token generator?

The code in Chrome has not been removed; the trial will still work in Canary as long as the tokens are still valid.

Allen Robinson

Jan 16, 2018, 10:57:42 AM1/16/18
to blink-dev, aro...@google.com, hben...@chromium.org, mlam...@chromium.org, chcunn...@chromium.org, foo...@google.com
I have changed the trial end date to April 12, 2018. Existing tokens will have expired by now, so new ones will have to be requested (either as new signups or renewals of existing signups).