Intent to Implement and Ship: DeviceOrientationEvent and DeviceMotionEvent constructors

Reilly Grant

Feb 28, 2017, 2:37:51 PM2/28/17
to blink-dev
rei...@chromium.org https://w3c.github.io/deviceorientation/spec-source-orientation.html The DeviceOrientationEvent and DeviceMotionEvent constructors are defined by the DeviceOrientation Event Specification but were not were not implemented in Chrome. Firefox has already shipped these constructors as specified. These constructors are useful for constructing synthetic events and are needed to pass the DeviceOrientationEvent Web Platform Tests. Firefox: Shipped Edge: No public signals Safari: No public signals Web developers: No signals

The DeviceOrientation Event Specification has been implemented by Chrome, Firefox and Mobile Safari however only Firefox has shipped the constructors for these event objects.
None. This functions have already been shipped by Firefox.
None
Yes https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=651767 https://www.chromestatus.com/features/4659236399218688
Yes

Rick Byers

Feb 28, 2017, 5:31:27 PM2/28/17
to Reilly Grant, blink-dev
LGTM1, thanks for doing this!

Constructors are somewhat rare, but it's important that we follow the general DOM event construction pattern.

BTW, I'm trying to get in the habit of asking about web-platform-tests for new APIs.  In this case I see the bug came from a report of a failing test (and there are some other tests in that directory) so I assume we're in good shape test-wise.

Chris Harrelson

Feb 28, 2017, 9:14:32 PM2/28/17
to Rick Byers, Reilly Grant, blink-dev
LGTM2

Dimitri Glazkov

Mar 1, 2017, 10:44:04 AM3/1/17
to Chris Harrelson, Rick Byers, Reilly Grant, blink-dev
LGTM3

Reilly Grant

Mar 1, 2017, 11:30:54 AM3/1/17
to Rick Byers, blink-dev
Thank you. I'll have to figure out how to import those tests but the coverage is already there and is what I used to check my implementation.

Rick Byers

Mar 1, 2017, 11:52:46 AM3/1/17
to Reilly Grant, blink-dev
I think it should be as easy as commenting out this line (and adding a comment line saying who owns the directory) and waiting for the daily auto-import.