Intent to Remove: MediaController

Philip Jägenstedt

Oct 1, 2015, 10:15:23 AM10/1/15
to blink-dev

Primary eng (and PM) emails

phi...@opera.com

Link to “Intent to Deprecate” thread

It was unshipped (put behind a flag) over a year ago, which generated some discussion:

https://groups.google.com/a/chromium.org/d/msg/blink-dev/MVcoNSPs1UQ/LIF-fvu2lwoJ

Summary

Remove the code for MediaController entirely. Other than MediaController.cpp itself, that affects HTMLMediaElement and to some extent MediaControls.

MediaController is a mechanism for synchronizing the playback of multiple media elements. See the unshipping thread for details.

Motivation

We're considering removing MediaController from the HTML spec, and will do so if no implementors show interest in the feature: https://github.com/whatwg/html/issues/192

It's already disabled by default in Blink, but I'm sending this intent to highlight the removal, just in case somebody secretly plans to work on it.

If I get some LGTMs and no objects, I'll remove the code once the feature is gone from the spec.

(The rest of the template excluded as it is not relevant.)

Chris Harrelson

Oct 1, 2015, 12:01:34 PM10/1/15
to Philip Jägenstedt, blink-dev
LGTM. Maybe just delete it now? is the code rotting or getting in the way?

Philip Jägenstedt

Oct 2, 2015, 5:38:03 AM10/2/15
to Chris Harrelson, blink-dev
It actually does kind of get in the way, in particular it makes it such that one always has to consider MediaController when trying to play/pause a HTMLMediaElement. I'll prepare the CLs to show what would be simplified.

Philip Jägenstedt

Oct 5, 2015, 8:21:55 AM10/5/15
to Chris Harrelson, blink-dev

Chris Harrelson

Oct 5, 2015, 8:28:42 PM10/5/15
to Philip Jägenstedt, blink-dev
On quick inspection, looks like a nice enough cleanup to me to justify deleting.

TAMURA, Kent

Oct 6, 2015, 6:22:03 PM10/6/15

--
TAMURA Kent
Software Engineer, Google

Rick Byers

Oct 6, 2015, 10:46:40 PM10/6/15
to Chris Harrelson, Philip Jägenstedt, blink-dev
Since this is already not shipped, I don't think any approval is necessary.  But LGTM2 anyway :-)

Philip Jägenstedt

Oct 7, 2015, 5:59:38 AM10/7/15
to Rick Byers, Chris Harrelson, blink-dev
Thanks everyone, I'll go ahead and remove the code!