Intent to Deprecate and Remove: -internal-media-controls-cast-button

Mounir Lamouri

Jan 17, 2017, 10:16:43 AM1/17/17
to blin...@chromium.org

Contact email

mlam...@chromium.org

Summary

-internal-media-controls-cast-button will no longer be exposed to web contents. That means that the remote playback icon from the native controls will no longer be customizable via CSS.

Motivation

-internal-media-controls-cast-button should never have been exposed to web contents in the first place. Furthermore, we now have an API for websites to reimplement the native cast button feature (using Remote Playback API) so a website that wants a custom cast button can use custom controls.

Compatibility And Interoperability Risk

The selector has been available for as long as Chrome Android supports video flinging (couple
of years). However, breakage would only be superficial and make websites controls look like regular native controls.

Alternative implementation suggestion for web developers

Using custom controls with Remote Playback API to implement the cast button is the recommended way to work around this deprecation.

Usage information from UseCounter

Usage is very low (0.0044%) but still existent:

https://www.chromestatus.com/metrics/feature/timeline/popularity/1063

We will look at the data when M59 is around the corner but unless things change significantly, we consider the usage low enough to be safe to remove at the moment.

OWP launch tracking bug

https://crbug.com/678285

Entry on the feature dashboard

https://www.chromestatus.com/feature/5734009183141888

Requesting approval to remove too?

Yes. We would like to remove the selector support in M59.

Jochen Eisinger

Jan 17, 2017, 10:20:02 AM1/17/17
to Mounir Lamouri, blin...@chromium.org
lgtm1

Chris Harrelson

Jan 17, 2017, 10:50:50 AM1/17/17
to Jochen Eisinger, Mounir Lamouri, blink-dev
LGTM2

lgtm1

PhistucK

Jan 17, 2017, 11:23:27 AM1/17/17
to Mounir Lamouri, blink-dev
Is there something that makes sure no other -internal pseudo element (or anything with -internal, really) is ever exposed (like JavaScript APIs have that webexposed layout test)?
The whole point of naming it -internal was that it would not be exposed...

Also, I bet most of the people used this to omit the button, rather than customized its appearance.

PhistucK

Dimitri Glazkov

Jan 17, 2017, 11:31:17 AM1/17/17
to Mounir Lamouri, blin...@chromium.org
LGTM3

Mounir Lamouri

Apr 4, 2017, 8:27:58 AM4/4/17
to Dimitri Glazkov, blin...@chromium.org, medi...@chromium.org
To wrap this up: the feature has been removed. The usage didn't change
significantly either way, staying very low during the deprecation
period.

-- Mounir