Intent to Experiment: Experimental support for native AEC

os...@chromium.org

Mar 12, 2018, 9:15:35 AM3/12/18
to blink-dev

Contact emails

os...@chromium.org

Explainer

https://docs.google.com/document/d/e/2PACX-1vTZ1dOZ3QyNsZYTJOnEYEI6y1-BeLcYidheu6hPFCaTT9T3qGzTqZ7oPj3Y1hh1hBZjc7y3su_MJgYA/pub

Summary

Provide a way to experimentally try out native echo canceller support on platforms, to determine if moving over from the software echo canceller would be beneficial. As a first step, this will be used to evaluate the macOS native echo canceller both locally and with a wider audience. This experimental support will be enabled either by a site opting in to an Origin Trial, or the user enabling it as a runtime feature. This makes it easy to revert to using the software echo canceller if the results are disappointing or problematic.

Link to “Intent to Implement” blink-dev discussion

https://groups.google.com/a/chromium.org/forum/#!topic/blink-dev/kEld5OudUOM

Goals for experimentation

We want to test the native echo canceller on macOS against what is currently used in Chrome. This includes testing of call quality as well as the robustness of the implementation.

Experimental timeline

Start in M66 and run until M67 goes to stable.

Any risks when the experiment finishes?

The native echo canceller will only be enabled on systems that support it. We've our own echo canceller already in place, so once the experiment ends, we'll revert to just using that again. This is transparent to the users (both end-users and applications).

Ongoing technical constraints

None.

Will this feature be supported on all five Blink platforms supported by Origin Trials (Windows, Mac, Linux, Chrome OS, and Android)?

The experimental support is only implemented for Mac, and only on versions that support it (macOS 10.12+). It's possible we'll run similar trials on other platforms should their native AEC be of interest.

Link to entry on the feature dashboard

This trial doesn't change any API surfaces, nor adds new functionality to Chrome. As such, I don't believe it needs its own feature.

os...@chromium.org

Mar 12, 2018, 9:20:51 AM3/12/18
to blink-dev
We've talked to Hangouts and intend to test this primarily using their platform. Others are, of course, welcome to join as well! :)

Rick Byers

Mar 12, 2018, 10:34:34 AM3/12/18
to os...@chromium.org, blink-dev
LGTM