Intent to Implement and Ship: color-gamut media query

Mounir Lamouri

Jan 26, 2017, 8:51:35 PM1/26/17
to blin...@chromium.org, hu...@chromium.org, johnp...@chromium.org

Contact emails

hu...@chromium.org, johnp...@chromium.org, mlam...@chromium.org

Spec

https://drafts.csswg.org/mediaqueries-4/#color-gamut

Summary

Expose the approximate range of colors supported by the user agent and the output device in a CSS Media Query.

Motivation

Wide color gamut screens are more and more popular and Blink provides no way for Web contents to discover the capabilities of the output device with regards to supported color gamut. The media team has been looking into a larger API in the form a the Media Capabilities but for compatibility, we would like to launch an API that is compatible with what WebKit launched and later improve upon this.

Interoperability and Compatibility Risk

Web developers: Positive signal

Edge: No public signal

Firefox: No public signal

Safari: Shipped

The feature has already launched in Safari. We are not aware of signal from Edge or Firefox. We got positive signal from web developers that are interested to provide content optimised for the color gamut of the display.

Because the feature has a low footprint and has already launched in another browser, we believe that the compatibility risks should be very low.

Ongoing technical constraints

None.

Yes.

OWP launch tracking bug

https://crbug.com/685456

Link to entry on the feature dashboard

https://www.chromestatus.com/features/5354410980933632

Requesting approval to ship?

Yes.

Yoav Weiss

Jan 27, 2017, 3:36:38 AM1/27/17
to Mounir Lamouri, blin...@chromium.org, hu...@chromium.org, johnp...@chromium.org
Non-owner LGTM. I think this would be an important addition that would enable authors to target their designs and images to wide gamut screens, while not harming the (visual and perf) experience of non-wide ones.

Philip Jägenstedt

Jan 27, 2017, 3:45:36 AM1/27/17
to Yoav Weiss, Mounir Lamouri, blin...@chromium.org, hu...@chromium.org, johnp...@chromium.org
LGTM1, and also curious to learn which platforms will support something other than srgb. Android and macOS?

Mounir Lamouri

Jan 27, 2017, 12:17:10 PM1/27/17
to Philip Jägenstedt, Yoav Weiss, blin...@chromium.org, hu...@chromium.org, johnp...@chromium.org
On Fri, 27 Jan 2017, at 00:45, Philip Jägenstedt wrote:
> LGTM1, and also curious to learn which platforms will support something
> other than srgb. Android and macOS?

I'm not sure what the question is. We already do output in different
color gamut, we just don't expose the information.

-- Mounir

Philip Jägenstedt

Jan 28, 2017, 11:58:51 AM1/28/17
to Mounir Lamouri, Yoav Weiss, blin...@chromium.org, hu...@chromium.org, johnp...@chromium.org
I was just wondering on what platforms something other than srgb is ever used, assuming that some are srgb only.

Jochen Eisinger

Jan 28, 2017, 12:01:55 PM1/28/17
to Philip Jägenstedt, Mounir Lamouri, Yoav Weiss, blin...@chromium.org, hu...@chromium.org, johnp...@chromium.org
lgtm2

Dimitri Glazkov

Jan 28, 2017, 12:11:01 PM1/28/17
to Jochen Eisinger, Philip Jägenstedt, Mounir Lamouri, Yoav Weiss, blin...@chromium.org, hu...@chromium.org, johnp...@chromium.org
lgtm3

Mounir Lamouri

Jan 28, 2017, 12:29:28 PM1/28/17
to Philip Jägenstedt, Yoav Weiss, blin...@chromium.org, hu...@chromium.org, johnp...@chromium.org
We actually have metrics for this. Android is the only platform where we
seem to only have srgb as an output. Not sure why. Hubbe would know :)

-- Mounir

Fredrik Hubinette

Jan 28, 2017, 9:07:57 PM1/28/17
to Mounir Lamouri, Philip Jägenstedt, Yoav Weiss, blin...@chromium.org, hubbe, johnp...@chromium.org
The metrics are very new, so we really don't have much data yet.
However, we've supported wide gamut displays on all platforms (with the possible exception of android) for a while.
CSS is happily unaware of this though, only JPEG and PNG images are normally color-managed afaik.

     /Hubbe

Philip Jägenstedt

Jan 29, 2017, 5:09:54 AM1/29/17
to Fredrik Hubinette, Mounir Lamouri, Yoav Weiss, blin...@chromium.org, hubbe, johnp...@chromium.org

That's interesting, thanks for the info!

pdk...@gmail.com

Jan 29, 2017, 11:01:45 AM1/29/17
to blink-dev, foo...@chromium.org, yo...@yoav.ws, hu...@chromium.org, johnp...@chromium.org
We actually have metrics for this. Android is the only platform where we
seem to only have srgb as an output. Not sure why.

The reason is that Android doesn't know (and cannot get) the color space of the display, and thus assumes sRGB. Apple only has few devices and thus probably has color profiles for each display hard-coded into the OS. It's a pity, as those wide-gamut OLED displays are basically wasted on Android. (Although people seem to like the unnatural colors caused by this.)