Intent to implement and ship: size related attributes for Resource Timing API

Kenji Baheux

Jun 6, 2016, 10:28:59 PM6/6/16
to blink-dev, ri...@google.com, Ilya Grigorik
ri...@chromium.orgkenji...@chromium.org
  https://w3c.github.io/resource-timing/ Add size related attributes to Resource Timing API Changes to API surface:
  • Add 3 attributes (transfer/encoded/decoded sizes)
These 3 attributes gives developers extra insights about data consumption and performance.

Some sample use cases that come to mind:
  • get an accurate understanding of the cache hit rate for key assets
  • measure bandwidth consumption (and ultimately enforce budgets)
Firefox: Shipped.
Edge: No public signals but...
  • Edge already has a strong implementation of Resource Timing API
  • And we know that the Edge team is aware and understand the developer enthusiasm for these additions.

Safari: No public signals.
Web developers: Positive.

Low (not aware of specific concerns from other vendors about these 3 new fields). +Ilya to keep me honest.
None
Yes http://crbug.com/611278 https://www.chromestatus.com/features/6549060404117504 Yes

Yoav Weiss

Jun 7, 2016, 9:33:52 AM6/7/16
to Kenji Baheux, blink-dev, ri...@google.com, Ilya Grigorik
non-API-owner LGTM!!!11 \o/

Glad to see this implemented. I'll be happy to help with reviews if needed.

Ilya Grigorik

Jun 7, 2016, 11:59:47 AM6/7/16
On Mon, Jun 6, 2016 at 7:28 PM, Kenji Baheux <kenji...@google.com> wrote:
Low (not aware of specific concerns from other vendors about these 3 new fields). +Ilya to keep me honest.

Yep, not aware of any issues here; we should be good to go!

Also, before the question comes up, access to these attributes is controlled by the same TAO mechanism [1] as other Resource Timing metrics - i.e. third parties have to opt-in via the Timing-Allow-Origin response header for the size attributes to return non zero values.

p.s. woohoo, super excited about this work!!

TAMURA, Kent

Jun 7, 2016, 8:39:01 PM6/7/16
to Kenji Baheux, blink-dev, ri...@google.com, Ilya Grigorik
LGTM1.

--
TAMURA Kent
Software Engineer, Google

Chris Harrelson

Jun 8, 2016, 1:49:28 AM6/8/16
to TAMURA, Kent, Kenji Baheux, blink-dev, ri...@google.com, Ilya Grigorik
LGTM2

Jochen Eisinger

Jun 8, 2016, 2:00:45 AM6/8/16
to Chris Harrelson, TAMURA, Kent, Kenji Baheux, blink-dev, ri...@google.com, Ilya Grigorik

lgtm3

senid...@gmail.com

Sep 29, 2016, 4:04:23 AM9/29/16
to blink-dev, ri...@google.com, igri...@google.com, kenji...@google.com
Hi,
are these attributes shipped already with any chrome version?. is it available in Version 53.0.2785.116 m ?

PhistucK

Sep 29, 2016, 4:45:08 AM9/29/16
to senid...@gmail.com, blink-dev, Adam Rice, Ilya Grigorik, Kenji Baheux
Chrome 54 beta has them, see the blog post.

PhistucK

PhistucK

Sep 29, 2016, 4:52:50 AM9/29/16
to senid...@gmail.com, blink-dev, Adam Rice, Ilya Grigorik, Kenji Baheux
Also, generally, ChromeStatus has this information -

PhistucK