Stale intents

Dru Knox

Nov 8, 2016, 7:31:24 PM11/8/16
to blink-api-owners-discuss
Hi all,

The following two intents are getting fairly old without API owner LGTM:

10/4/2016Brett WilsonImplement and shipDisallow some invalid characters from URL host names< LGTM x3
10/17/2016Dave TapuskaShipIntervene: Document Level Passive Event Listeners< LGTM x3

The second intent, in particular, asked again for API owner feedback a week ago. Is there anything outstanding before we can provide additional feedback?

Thanks!
-Dru

Chris Harrelson

Nov 9, 2016, 12:23:04 PM11/9/16
to Dru Knox, blink-api-owners-discuss
Dave's intent was blocked on better spec'ing and engagement with other browsers.

Ojan Vafai

Nov 9, 2016, 4:48:53 PM11/9/16
to Chris Harrelson, Dru Knox, blink-api-owners-discuss
He's followed up that he's done enough to upload the pull requests for changes to the DOM and TouchEvents specs. There's still some discussion going on with Anne, but not at a pace that would get in time for the m56 branch point.

My 2 cents is that we should ship aggressively in cases like this where there is large and immediate user visible benefit. The de facto practice of browsers for the past 20 years has been to ship these sorts of changes without discussing them with other vendors. We've gone above and beyond that by setting up a shared forum for these discussions, discussing this issue in a shared forum, and uploading pull requests for spec changes.

It's possible, but unlikely, that after the branch point there will be some significant feedback that would cause us to be uncomfortable shipping this change. In that case, the worst that would happen is we'd have to merge a change into the m56 branch turning off the flag. Given that, it would be a shame to wait an extra 2 months just because of some uncertainty.

On Tue, Nov 8, 2016 at 4:31 PM, Dru Knox <dk...@chromium.org> wrote:
Hi all,

The following two intents are getting fairly old without API owner LGTM:

10/4/2016Brett WilsonImplement and shipDisallow some invalid characters from URL host names< LGTM x3
10/17/2016Dave TapuskaShipIntervene: Document Level Passive Event Listeners< LGTM x3

The second intent, in particular, asked again for API owner feedback a week ago. Is there anything outstanding before we can provide additional feedback?

Thanks!
-Dru

Philip Jägenstedt

Nov 10, 2016, 10:29:19 AM11/10/16
to Ojan Vafai, Chris Harrelson, Dru Knox, blink-api-owners-discuss
The most important question in my mind, is if any other vendor is interested in implementing this. And related, if Chrome ships this and it sticks, can we have some confidence that roughly this behavior will make it into whichever specs are necessary, so that it doesn't end up an undocumented quirk of the platform. At the end of the day the WHATWG currently operates by "match implementation even if silly" so it's not really Anne that needs convincing. I've poked https://github.com/whatwg/dom/issues/365 yesterday.

Rick Byers

Nov 10, 2016, 10:41:59 AM11/10/16
to Philip Jägenstedt, Ojan Vafai, Chris Harrelson, Dru Knox, blink-api-owners-discuss, Dave Tapuska
[+dtapuska]
Honestly I don't think we're going to know that (regardless of what other vendors say) until the rubber really hits the road.  There is going to be some compat impact, many affected sites will update, a few won't.  Where other vendors draw the line here they likely can't predict up front.

To me the risk here is mitigated by the fact that we can likely un-ship this in the future without breaking anyone.  So if this fails to get implementation support with all the data we can provide on the tradeoff, we can still choose to prioritize predictability over the user experience.