review for browsingData API extension

Timo Reimann

Sep 11, 2014, 6:31:00 PM9/11/14
to apps...@chromium.org, securit...@chromium.org, bat...@chromium.org, bau...@chromium.org
Hello,

I volunteered to implement issue 78093 (Add/extend API to enable Local Storage management for extensions) and put together an API proposal (which I actually consider as an extension to the existing browsingData API).

Please have a look and let me know about your feedback.

Thanks

Timo

Mustafa Emre Acer

Sep 12, 2014, 5:08:21 PM9/12/14
to Timo Reimann, apps-dev, security-enamel, Dominic Battre, bau...@chromium.org
Thanks! I've added some comments for security.

Dominic Battre

Sep 18, 2014, 9:13:40 AM9/18/14
to Timo Reimann, apps...@chromium.org, securit...@chromium.org, Bernhard Bauer
Hi.

I had time to take a look at your proposal. Overall I would be happy to see this but I wonder whether you are aware of what you would be signing up to.

Take a look at chrome/browser/browsing_data/browsing_data_remover.cc for a list of backends that are supported for clearing browsing data by time. For each of these backends you would need to add a query operation and a filter by domain operation. That's a seizable amount of work. It would probably also require some refactoring so that all components that can store browsing data support a common interface to query and clear it.

Best regards,
Dominic

--
Google Germany GmbH - Dienerstr. 12 - 80331 München - Germany
Registergericht und -nummer: Hamburg, HRB 86891

Timo Reimann

Sep 18, 2014, 1:50:15 PM9/18/14
to Dominic Battre, apps...@chromium.org, securit...@chromium.org, Bernhard Bauer
Hi Dominic,

thanks for reviewing, and for providing a rough outline of the scope.

I absolutely wouldn't mind committing to the larger task that you described (especially since I've tackled a few smaller Chromium issues already). My sole motivation to go for the issue is for fun and profit. Given a bit of time and support from the Chromium folks end, I'm dedicated to pull it through.

I have responded to all comments on the document. Let me know if there's anything else I can do to hopefully get the needed LGTMs.

Best

Timo

Dominic Battre

Sep 19, 2014, 5:41:21 AM9/19/14
to Timo Reimann, Mike West, Markus Heintz, Michael Nordman, apps...@chromium.org, securit...@chromium.org, Bernhard Bauer
+Adding OWNERs of chrome/browser/browsing_data

Hi Timo,

did apps-dev and security-enamel give their LGTM?

Best regards,
Dominic

Timo Reimann

Sep 19, 2014, 1:13:56 PM9/19/14
to Dominic Battre, Mike West, Markus Heintz, Michael Nordman, apps...@chromium.org, securit...@chromium.org, Bernhard Bauer, mea...@chromium.org
+meacer

Hi Dominic,

not yet. meacer@ had a thorough look at it, including a number of comments that we have all resolved by now.

I believe I haven't heard anything from apps-dev so far.

Thanks

Timo

Mustafa Emre Acer

Sep 19, 2014, 1:19:47 PM9/19/14
to Timo Reimann, Dominic Battre, Mike West, Markus Heintz, Michael Nordman, apps-dev, security-enamel, Bernhard Bauer
Security lgtm. Thanks!

Timo Reimann

Sep 23, 2014, 2:39:03 PM9/23/14
to Mustafa Emre Acer, Michael Nordman, Markus Heintz, Mike West, Bernhard Bauer, apps-dev, security-enamel, Dominic Battre

Can I ask apps-dev to have a look as well and ideally give their LGTM? Thanks!

λ Ken Rockot

Sep 23, 2014, 3:23:28 PM9/23/14
to Timo Reimann, Mustafa Emre Acer, Michael Nordman, Markus Heintz, Mike West, Bernhard Bauer, apps-dev, security-enamel, Dominic Battre
Looks mostly good! Please see comments inline comments.

Jeffrey Yasskin

Sep 23, 2014, 4:40:28 PM9/23/14
to λ Ken Rockot, Timo Reimann, Mustafa Emre Acer, Michael Nordman, Markus Heintz, Mike West, Bernhard Bauer, apps-dev, security-enamel, Dominic Battre
I basically like the proposal too.

Timo Reimann

Oct 15, 2014, 7:01:00 PM10/15/14
to Jeffrey Yasskin, Michael Nordman, Mustafa Emre Acer, Bernhard Bauer, λ Ken Rockot, Mike West, Markus Heintz, apps-dev, security-enamel, Dominic Battre

Thanks for the additional feedback, and apologies for the late response on my end. I went offline for quite a while and thus couldn't address the latest comments easily. I did so just now though, and will be happy to finalize any pending discussions to hopefully wrap up the proposal.

Timo

Timo Reimann

Oct 21, 2014, 6:02:51 PM10/21/14
to Jeffrey Yasskin, Michael Nordman, Mustafa Emre Acer, Bernhard Bauer, λ Ken Rockot, Mike West, Markus Heintz, apps-dev, security-enamel, Dominic Battre
Hey all,

it seems to me there's just one issue left pending on the proposal before I can move forward implementing. May I ask for another final look and some LGTM please? :)

(Ken Rockot and Jeffrey Yasskin, I believe you were last in sharing feedback on the yet unresolved issue.)

Thanks

Timo

λ Ken Rockot

Oct 21, 2014, 6:08:49 PM10/21/14
to Timo Reimann, Jeffrey Yasskin, Michael Nordman, Mustafa Emre Acer, Bernhard Bauer, Mike West, Markus Heintz, apps-dev, security-enamel, Dominic Battre
Woops, sorry. Thought that had been resolved. In general I don't feel strongly about the mapping direction in question and I agree with the rationale of your inline reply. So LGTM!

Timo Reimann

Oct 21, 2014, 7:32:39 PM10/21/14
to λ Ken Rockot, Jeffrey Yasskin, Michael Nordman, Mustafa Emre Acer, Bernhard Bauer, Mike West, Markus Heintz, apps-dev, security-enamel, Dominic Battre
Awesome -- thanks big time, Ken.

Could someone please add the proposal to the Chrome API tracking master document with status 2:coding. (or give me permission to do so -- I can't seem to request it myself)? For convenience, here's the link to the proposal again.