Chandra Digest (August 24) Kepler's Supernova Remnant

CXC

Aug 24, 2020, 12:20:17 PM8/24/20
to chandr...@cfa.harvard.edu
--- Monday, August 24, 2020  ---
===================================

** Kepler's Supernova Remnant: Cases of Black Hole Mistaken Identity
The debris of an exploded star about 13,000 light years from Earth.
Read the article and rate the image at:

**Chandra Press Room: Black Hole Fails to Do Its Job
Astronomers have discovered what can happen when a giant black hole does not intervene in the life of a galaxy cluster. Using NASA's Chandra X-ray Observatory and other telescopes they have shown that passive black hole behavior may explain a remarkable torrent of star formation occurring in a distant cluster of galaxies.
https://chandra.si.edu/press/20_releases/press_080320.html

**Chandra Blog: The Origins of Particle Ribbons in the Center of our Galaxy
Astronomers are taking a closer look at a party brewing in the center of our Galaxy. The supermassive black hole that resides there, known as Sagittarius A*, appears to be throwing a celebration complete with flying cosmic ribbons.

**Chandra Blog: History of SpARCS1049
We welcome Carter Rhea as our guest blogger and a co-author of a paper that is the subject of our latest press release. Carter completed his undergraduate degree in astronomy at the College of Charleston in Charleston South Carolina.

**Chandra Resources: Science Olympiad and GUIDE FOR USING JS9
Science Olympiad is a national non-profit organization dedicated to improving the quality of K-12 science education, increasing interest in science for all students, creating a technologically-literate workforce, and providing recognition for outstanding achievement by both students and teachers.