Chandra Digest (August 18) NGC 4424

CXC

Aug 18, 2022, 11:02:34 AM8/18/22
to chandr...@cfa.harvard.edu
-- Thursday, August 18, 2022  ---
===================================

Vote for our NASA Sounds from a Black Hole Panel

(vote through August 21)

Few things capture attention more than black holes. They are mysterious and seemingly unknowable. Yet, scientists have managed to not only prove they exist, but they have also figured out what sizes they come in, how they affect their surroundings, and even taken images of them. And they are not done yet. As we enter the next phase of black hole exploration using the latest data and expertise from NASA and other organizations around the world, we will look at the innovative ways we can explore black holes such as through sound and other immersive experiences. What does a black hole sound like? Come explore with us.

=======================

** NGC 4424: NASA Telescopes Capture Stellar Delivery Service for Black Hole
A spiral galaxy located about 54 million light-years from Earth.
Read the article and rate the image at:

=====

**Chandra Blog:  NASA Telescopes Capture Stellar Delivery Service for Black HoleAstronomers may have witnessed a galaxy’s black hole delivery system in action. A new study using data from NASA’s Chandra X-ray Observatory and Hubble Space Telescope outlines how a large black hole may have been delivered to the spiral galaxy NGC 4424 by another, smaller galaxy.

**Chandra Video Series: Embracing a Rejected Star
Zeta Ophiuchi is a star with a complicated past, having likely been ejected from its birthplace by a powerful stellar explosion. A new look by NASA's Chandra X-ray Observatory helps tell more of the story of this runaway star.

**Chandra Resources:  3D Tactile Plates
We offer two kinds of 3D printable objects in this section. The first is a set of specially-developed fully 3D models, and the second is a set of tactile plates that are developed as relief maps of images to help make the 2D data more experiential.

**Chandra Resources:  Women in Science