Chandra Digest (January 9) Cygnus A

CXC

Jan 10, 2019, 12:08:44 PM1/10/19
to chandr...@cfa.harvard.edu
-- Thursday, January 9, 2019  ---

===================================
**  Cygnus A : Ricocheting Black Hole Jet Discovered by Chandra
A large galaxy in the middle of a galaxy cluster about 760 million light years away.
Read the article and rate the image:
http://chandra.si.edu/photo/2019/cyga/

** ASASSN-14li: Shredded Star Leads to Important Black Hole Discovery
A tidal disruption event in a galaxy about 290 million light years from Earth.
Read the article and rate the image:
http://chandra.si.edu/photo/2018/ring/

===================================

**Chandra Press: Ricocheting Black Hole Jet Discovered by Chandra
Astronomers have discovered behavior by a jet from a giant black hole that has never been seen before.
http://chandra.si.edu/press/19_releases/press_010919cyga.html

**Chandra Press:  Shredded Star Leads to Important Black Hole Discovery
In a galaxy far away, a star wandered too close to a giant black hole and was ripped apart by immense gravitational tidal forces.
http://chandra.si.edu/press/19_releases/press_010919bhspin.html

**Chandra Blog:  Ricocheting Black Hole Jet Discovered by Chandra
In this composite image of Cygnus A, X-rays from Chandra (red, green, and blue that represent low, medium and high energy X-rays) are combined with an optical view from the Hubble Space Telescope of the galaxies and stars in the same field of view.
http://chandra.si.edu/blog/node/707

**Chandra Blog:  Shredded Star Leads to Important Black Hole Discovery
This artist's illustration shows the region around a supermassive black hole after a star wandered too close and was ripped apart by extreme gravitational forces.
http://chandra.si.edu/blog/node/708

**Chandra Resources: National Science Olympiad Webinar: Astronomy Event Supervisor 2019
This presentation provides state directors and Astronomy event supervisors with information about resources and logistics to consider for designing, developing and running an invitational, regional and/or state Astronomy Event.

**Chandra Resources: Comments
Many thank you's to all of our visitors who have left and contributed comments on our web site over the past few years.  We are in the process of upgrading our system architecture at this time, however, and will be closing the comments form on our site.  Please feel free to leave helpful notes on our social media platforms including Instagram and Twitter.