Chandra Digest (April 23) Cassiopeia A

CXC

Apr 23, 2021, 12:37:46 PM4/23/21
to chandr...@cfa.harvard.edu
--- Friday, April 23, 2021  ---
===================================

** Cassiopeia A: Bubbles With Titanium Trigger Titanic Explosions
A supernova remnant located about 11,000 light years away.
Read the article and rate the image at:

**Chandra Press:  Bubbles With Titanium Trigger Titanic Explosions
Scientists have found fragments of titanium blasting out of a famous supernova. This discovery, made with NASA's Chandra X-ray Observatory, could be a major step in pinpointing exactly how some giant stars explode.

**Chandra Blog:  Telescopes Unite in Unprecedented Observations of Famous Black Hole
In April 2019, scientists released the first image of a black hole in the galaxy M87 using the Event Horizon Telescope (EHT). This supermassive black hole weighs 6.5 billion times the mass of the sun and is located at the center of M87, about 55 million light-years from Earth.

**Chandra Blog:  What We Found When We X-rayed Uranus
We are pleased to welcome Affelia Wibisono, who received her Masters degree in Physics from Royal Holloway, University of London in 2012, as our guest blogger.

**Chandra Resources: A Universe of Sound
Here we will explore how scientists are using NASA's Chandra X-ray Observatory and other instruments around the world and in space to study the cosmos through sound. Whether it comes from vocal chords in our throats or the surface of the Sun, sound plays a valuable role in our understanding of the world and cosmos around us.