Chandra Digest (November 22) KPD 0005+5106

CXC

Nov 22, 2021, 4:03:16 PM11/22/21
to chandr...@cfa.harvard.edu
--- Monday, November 22, 2021  ---
===================================

** KPD 0005+5106: Roasted and Shredded by a Stellar Sidekick
A white dwarf with a companion about 1,300 light years from Earth.
Read the article and rate the image at:

===================================

**Chandra Press:  Roasted and Shredded by a Stellar Sidekick
An exhausted star still has some punches to deliver. Astronomers have found that a white dwarf is pummeling a companion object — either a lightweight star or a planet — with incessant blasts of heat and radiation plus a relentless gravitational pull tearing it apart.

**Chandra Blog:  Roasted and Shredded by a Stellar Sidekick
A team of scientists used NASA's Chandra X-ray Observatory and ESA's XMM-Newton to investigate some unusual X-ray activity of a white dwarf star, as reported in our latest press release.

**Chandra Podcast: Chandra Sees Evidence for Possible Planet in Another Galaxy
Astronomers have found evidence for a possible planet candidate in the M51 ("Whirlpool") galaxy, representing what could be the first planet detected outside of the Milky Way.

**Chandra Resources: Visual Descriptions
Narrated audio files of the visual descriptions of recent Chandra images released.

**Chandra Resources: Hour of Code activity
Learn how we use binary code to talk to a spacecraft, and then try it yourself by translating your name into binary code on a name tag, bracelet, pin, or even sound.