Chandra Digest (June 1) GW170817

CXC

Jun 1, 2018, 4:50:47 PM6/1/18
to chandr...@cfa.harvard.edu
--- Friday, June 1, 2018  ---

===================================
** GW170817: Gravitational Wave Event Likely Signaled Creation of a Black Hole
A gravitational wave source located in the NGC 4993 galaxy about 130 million light years from Earth.
Read the article, rate the image, and send in your comments at:
http://chandra.si.edu/photo/2018/gw170817/

** E0102-72.3: Astronomers Spot a Distant and Lonely Neutron Star
The debris from an exploded star about 200,000 light years from Earth.
Read the article, rate the image, and send in your comments at:
http://chandra.si.edu/photo/2018/e0102/

===================================

**Chandra Press: Gravitational Wave Event Likely Signaled Creation of a Black Hole
The spectacular merger of two neutron stars that generated gravitational waves announced last fall likely did something else: birthed a black hole. This newly spawned black hole would be the lowest mass black hole ever found.
http://chandra.si.edu/press/18_releases/press_053118.html

**Chandra Podcasts:  A Tour of the Sagittarius A* Black Hole Swarm
Astronomers have discovered evidence for thousands of black holes located near the center of our Milky Way galaxy.
http://chandra.si.edu/resources/podcasts/by_date.html?year=2018

**Chandra Podcasts:  A Tour of NGC 6231
By studying young clusters, astronomers hope to learn more about how stars — including our Sun — are born.
http://chandra.si.edu/resources/podcasts/by_date.html?year=2018

**Chandra Blog: Astronomers Spot a Distant and Lonely Neutron Star
Astronomers have discovered a special kind of neutron star for the first time outside of the Milky Way galaxy, using data from NASA's Chandra X-ray Observatory and the European Southern Observatory's Very Large Telescope (VLT) in Chile.
http://chandra.si.edu/blog/node/681

**Chandra Blog: Two Neutron Stars + Gravitational Waves = A Black Hole
It is a pleasure to welcome Dave Pooley as a guest blogger.
http://chandra.si.edu/blog/node/682

** Chandra Digest:
As you may be aware new data protection rules are being enforced for members in the EU effective May 25, 2018.
There is no action required on your part, and it is not necessary to change the way you interact with the Chandra Digest.
The security of your personal Information is important to us, and so is your right to stop receiving emails from us.  If you have joined us through our website, by subscribing to receive the Chandra Digest, to opt-out of these and future emails, please email chandradiges...@cfa.harvard.edu.