Chandra Announcement: Chandra Data Science Workshop: First Announcement

Tara Gokas

Mar 2, 2021, 1:19:21 PM3/2/21
to chandra-announce

With its ability to detect the characteristics of individual photons and its low-background, the Chandra X-ray Observatory provides unprecedented perspectives of the X-ray universe. In simplest terms, the event list for a single observation is a database of photons; typically with 100,000 rows of data but sometimes up to 50 million. Careful scrutiny, visualization, and comparison to physical models of the event list --- at the heart of Chandra science --- has many similarities to data science. The Chandra community has provided numerous tools and techniques that advance Chandra science. We are pleased to announce our summer science workshop that will highlight the science enabled by such contributions:

Title: Chandra Data Science: Novel Methods in Computing and Statistics for X-ray Astronomy

Location: virtually everywhere (via Zoom and YouTube Stream)

Dates (tentative): August 17-19th, 24-26th, 2021

The scope of this workshop will cover a large range of science topics and the methods that enable them  from landmark contributions (DS9, CIAO, XSPEC, etc.) to novel statistical techniques (Bayesian/Poisson statistical methods, machine-learning classification, etc.). We invite contributions on timing, imaging, and spectroscopy methods applied to Chandra observations of stars, neutron stars, black holes, AGN, galaxy clusters or any other field of X-ray astronomy, in addition to contributions from science enhanced by multi-mission and multiwavelength studies.

The workshop will occur virtually mid-August 2021 (likely dates are 17th-19th and 24th-26th). We will aim to host up to 6 days with 3 hours of topical programming per day, including 30 minutes of community building (virtual cafes). Workshop schedule will include invited (25-30 minutes), contributed (10-15 minutes), and lightning (3-5 min) speakers and focused panel discussions. Talks will focus on science, but self-organized tutorials outside of these sessions may be considered.

Important Dates:

March 2021: Open Registration and Expression of Interest (EoI) for Contributed and Lightning Talks

Early May: Close EoI for Contributed Talks

Mid June: Close EoI for Lightning Talks

Early July: Release Schedule of Talks

Mid August: Event

Please visit our website for updated information, registration, and abstract submission: