Chandra Announcement: Chandra Events at the 243rd AAS

Tingle, Evan

Jan 5, 2024, 10:31:53 AMJan 5
to chandra-...@cfa.harvard.edu
chandra_AAS243.png

Chandra Events at the 243rd AAS

The Chandra Director’s Office would like to bring to your attention some Chandra and X-ray related events during the 243rd meeting of the American Astronomical Society, where we will kick off events for our twenty-fifth anniversary celebration! All times are CST.

Chandra X-Ray Observatory Booth (Exhibit Hall)

We encourage you to visit the Chandra booth, where you can learn about spacecraft updates and proposal opportunities, talk to CXC experts, and browse our latest collection of materials and swag. The booth will be staffed and open whenever the exhibit hall is open, beginning the evening of January 7th. We can be found in the larger Center for Astrophysics | Harvard & Smithsonian booth, #315.

Meet with the Director

Chandra X-ray Center director Pat Slane will be at the Chandra booth (part of the Center for Astrophysics booth, #315). In particular, he is interested in answering all of your questions about the Chandra Legacy Program. Pat will be at the booth:

Tues, Jan 9 4:30 - 5:30 PM

Wed, Jan 10 9:00 - 9:45 AM

Chandra Special Session

As part of our 25th Anniversary Celebration, we have organized a special session Tuesday morning (Chandra at 25; Tues, Jan 9 10:00 - 11:30 AM; Room 222) featuring the following line-up of speakers:

Here, There, and Everywhere: High Resolution All Across The Universe

David Pooley (Trinity University and Eureka Scientific)

10:00 – 10:20 AM

High Resolution X-ray Astrophysics in the Era of Multi-messenger Astronomy

Shuo Zhang (Michigan State University)

10:20 – 10:40 AM

Black Holes at High Resolution

Joey Neilsen (Villanova University)

10:40 – 11:00 AM

Twenty-five Years of Galaxy Clusters with the Chandra X-ray Observatory

Elizabeth Blanton (Boston University)

11:00 – 11:20 AM

Press Briefing

NASA Telescopes Show Famous Exploded Star in Its Best Light

Dan Milisavljevic (Purdue University)

Mon, Jan 8 10:15 AM; Room 229

Astronomers Find Spark of Star Birth Across Billions of Years

Michael Calzadilla (MIT)

Tues, Jan 11 10:15 AM; Room 229

Workshop

Effective Astronomy Visualizations for Research, Outreach, and Learning

Sun, Jan 7 1:00 - 5:00 PM; Room 223

Town Halls

NASA Town Hall

Mon, Jan 8 12:45 - 1:45 PM; Great Hall A

HEAD Social and Business Meeting

Tues, Jan 9 7:00 - 8:00 PM; Room 225

Splinter and Special Sessions

Chandra at 25

Tues, Jan 9 10:00 - 11:30 AM; Room 222

HEAD I - Status of the X-ray Imaging Spectrometry Mission

Mon, Jan 8 10:00 - 11:30 AM; Room 212

The Line Emission Mapper: A NASA X-ray Probe Mission Concept

Mon, Jan 8 2:00 - 3:30 PM; Room 209

HEAD II - High-Energy observations of Stellar-mass Compact Objects: A Tribute to Tomaso Belloni

Tues, Jan 9 10:00 - 11:30 AM; Room 212

The NASA Hubble Fellowship Program: Creating 21st Century Leaders in Astronomy

Tues, Jan 9 2:00 - 3:30 PM; Room 220

CfA Theater

The Center for Astrophysics | Harvard & Smithsonian booth (#315) will be hosting talks during the morning and evening poster sessions. Please stop by on Wednesday morning to learn more about the Chandra Source Catalog.

The Chandra Source Catalog

Rafael Martínez-Galarza and Mojegan Azadi (Center for Astrophysics | Harvard & Smithsonian)

Wed, Jan 10 9:30 - 10:00 AM; Exhibit Hall Booth 315

Exhibitor Theater

Chandra at Twenty-five: NASA’s Flagship X-ray Observatory

Tues, Jan 9 4:00 - 4:30 PM; Exhibit Hall B-1/B-2

Hyperwall Talks

The Many Discoveries of the Perseus Cluster with Chandra

Steve Ehlert (NASA Marshall Space Flight Center)

Mon, Jan 8 9:05 - 9:20 AM; NASA SMD Booth, Exhibit Hall

Chandra Innovations in Data Visualization: 3D Modeling, Sonification & Beyond

Kimberly Arcand (Center for Astrophysics | Harvard & Smithsonian)

Tues, Jan 9 9:35 - 9:50 AM; NASA SMD Booth, Exhibit Hall

Gravitational Lensing for Astrometric Determinations: Milli-arcsec X-ray Structure in Active Galactic Nuclei

Dan Schwartz (Center for Astrophysics | Harvard & Smithsonian)

Wed, Jan 10 9:50 - 10:05 AM; NASA SMD Booth, Exhibit Hall

Top 5 Chandra Discoveries

Rodolfo Montez Jr. (Center for Astrophysics | Harvard & Smithsonian)

Wed, Jan 10 5:30 - 5:45 PM; NASA SMD Booth, Exhibit Hall

Please refer to the meeting program for the latest information or to explore other events.