Centenary Archery Info to 24-March-2024

Centenary Archers Club Newsletter

Mar 16, 2024, 8:15:52 PMMar 16
to Centenary Archers Club Newsletter

Hi Centenary Archers Club members,

Club Rule Reminder

The maximum allowable draw-weight of any bow at our club is 60 pounds.

This Week

Monday, 18th of March

08:30 to 12:00 Club open for general archery. (Open & Close: David)

16:00 to 18:00 Club open for general archery. (Open & Close: Bernd)

16:00 to 18:00 Club (720) shoot - Scoring at 16:20

Thursday, 21st of March

16:00 to 18:00 Club open for general archery. (Open & Close: Bernd)

Saturday, 23rd of March

10:00 to 13:00 Come & Try class. (Instructors: Bec, Hayden, Michael, Renn)

09:30 to 18:00 Club open for general archery. (Close: Patrick)

13:30 to 17:00 Club 720 Round and Ozbow - Scoring at 14:00 (ChrisK)

Sunday, 24th of March - Club Closed

Club News

• The Club’s 🎂40th birthday🎂 is coming up in May. If you’d like to help out, drop us an email!

• Mark Griffiths & David Conran gave a presentation about Archery to ShedWest Men’s Shed. 👴

• The committee has approved that future meeting minutes will be as public as possible. ✍👁

• Congrats to our members who completed the recent Beginners Course: 🎓🎓🎓🎓🎓

Isabella Buttenshaw, Alexandre & Joslyn Ferrada, Yiyuewen (Catherine) Liu, & Samuel Robertson

• Please welcome our newest, fully approved club members: 👏👏👏👏👏

(U14) Brock Bleeker, Mila Powell
(Open) Bart Parr
(50+) Bronwyn Healing, Darren Johnston

Records

Congrats to our new club record holders from the impromptu Saturday shoot:

Ellen Martini - U16, U18, U21, Open Female Recurve - Short Canberra - 807 -> 824 👏😲

Terence De Jong - Open Male Recurve - Mini Canberra -> 845 👏

Kate Hall - Open & 50+ Female Barebow Recurve - Mini Canberra - 564 -> 642 👏😲

Etiquette

Please keep your gear & possessions within your shooting lane allotment. Move it with you if & when you change lanes/targets. We commonly think that space is a limited resource only on the shooting line. It’s an issue behind the waiting line as well. If you have lots of stuff, consider putting some of it up against the containers, or against the wall under the covered area. When a lane overflows it can have a knock-on effect impacting a lot of your fellow archers.

If there is someone else’s gear in your lane, politely ask whose it is, and if they can move it. I haven’t yet met an archer who wouldn’t eagerly comply with that request.

“Alternative” Archery Facts

Mark Griffiths is an exceptionally generous & talented archer. He has even given away several cars as prizes in club shoots.

Tip of the Week

🕵🕴 Secret Agent Stuff 🦯♿

Ever been injured or unable to collect & score your own arrows? Or perhaps, like me, you wish you could just magically have your arrows return to your quiver after you shoot them.

Well technically, you can. The magic that allows it is called an Athlete's Agent. The agent can tell you where your arrows have landed, help you set up, collect & score your arrows at the target, and represent you at the target with your fellow archers &/or an archery judge.

An Athlete's Agent is required most commonly when the Archer has an impairment. I.e. Confined to a wheelchair, Visually Impaired, etc. Or perhaps has been injured. E.g. Twisted an ankle on the stairs. Heck, it even happens in big competitions where having an archer score & removing their own arrows from a target would <gasp> ruin the spectacle for TV etc.

The point of this tip is, if there is a roadblock to you conducting archery, there may be an established solution to help you get around it & let you continue to shoot. Archery is about how well you shoot, not how good you are at retrieving arrows.

Safety Tip

🎯👂🩸 Now hear this! Now ear this! 🎯👂🩸

We tell new archers in the Come & Try class that the most dangerous time & place in target archery is at the target butt. It is where most injuries occur. We also tell them that the most dangerous part of an arrow is not the point, but the nock. Being an excellent professional teacher, our own Scott “van Gogh" emphasised this by way of painful demonstration. Needless to say, that class now really appreciates the danger.

When approaching the target, always do it from between the lanes and from one side of the target. Make sure no-one is standing directly behind you, then remove all arrows from the target starting at one side, and at eye level first. Work your way across the target until all the arrows have been removed. Then and only then can you get any arrows on the ground, or adjust the target etc. I.e. Scoring arrows & Marking of holes, then all arrows out of the target; Missed arrows or adjusting a target come absolutely last.

Always take care. Injuries can happen at any time. You might not be as lucky next time.

The Month ahead

Monday, 25th of March

08:30 to 12:00 Club open for general archery. (Open & Close: David)

16:00 to 18:00 Club open for general archery. (Open & Close: Bernd)

Thursday, 28th of March - Club Closed

2024 Youth National Archery Championships at Tuggeranong Archery Club, ACT

Friday, 29th of March - 🐰🗠👌Better-Than-Average Friday 📈👍🐰

10:00 to 16:00 Club open for general archery. (Open: ChrisK; Close: Rob)

10:00 to 14:30+ Good Friday Easter Comp (900) - Scoring at 10:30 (ChrisK)

2024 Youth National Archery Championships at Tuggeranong Archery Club, ACT

Saturday, 30th of March

09:00 to 12:00 Youth Squad (Open: Rob)

09:30 to 18:00 Club open for general archery. (Close: Stacy)

13:30 to 17:30 OzBow & Monthly Medal competition (900). (Scoring at 14:00)

2024 Youth National Archery Championships at Tuggeranong Archery Club, ACT

Sunday, 31st of March - 🍫🐰St. Cadbury’s Day 🍫🐰

09:00 to 13:30 Club open for general archery. (Open & Close: David)

Egg-stra special event details TBA.

2024 Youth National Archery Championships at Tuggeranong Archery Club, ACT

April

Monday, 1st of April 🤡

08:30 to 12:00 Club open for general archery. (Open & Close: David)

2024 Youth National Archery Championships at Tuggeranong Archery Club, ACT

Thursday, 4th of April  - Club Closed

Saturday, 6th of April

10:00 to 13:00 Come & Try class. (Instructors: Patrick, Alex, Pierre, Sam)

09:30 to 18:00 Club open for general archery. (Close: Shane)

Sunday, 7th of April - Club Closed

Monday, 8th of April

08:30 to 12:00 Club open for general archery. (Open & Close: David)

16:00 to 17:30 Club open for general archery. (Open & Close: Bernd)

19:00 to 20:30 CAC Management committee meeting (Submit agenda items)

Thursday, 11th of April

16:00 to 17:30 Club open for general archery. (Open & Close: Bernd)

Saturday, 13th of April

10:00 to 13:00 Come & Try class. (Instructors: Victor, Hayden, Shane, Stacy)

13:30 to 16:00 Mid Month Competition & OzBow (Scoring starts at 14:00)

09:30 to 18:00 Club open for general archery. (Close: ChrisK)

Sunday, 14th of April

09:00 to 13:30 Club open for general archery. (Open: Shane; Close: Patrick)

SQAS Short Range Target Championships at SVTA (Register by 3rd April)

Monday, 15th of April

07:00 to 12:00 Club open for general archery. (Open & Close: David)

16:00 to 17:30 Club open for general archery. (Open & Close: Bernd)

Thursday, 18th of April

16:00 to 17:30 Club open for general archery. (Open & Close: Bernd)

Saturday, 20th of April

10:00 to 13:00 Come & Try class. (Instructors: Scott, Kate, Peter, Renn, Alex)

09:30 to 18:00 Club open for general archery. (Close: Lindsay)

Sunday, 21th of April

09:00 to 11:30 Club open for general archery & Private Group Coaching. (Open & Close: Amanda)

Centenary Archery Info to 24-March-2024.pdf