Announcing CRL Watch to Monitor CRL Problems

Andrew Ayer

Feb 20, 2023, 8:48:31 AM2/20/23
to pub...@ccadb.org
Now that several root programs require disclosure of CRLs in the CCADB,
I've begun regularly crawling disclosed CRLs to look for problems.

The list of identified problems can be found here:
https://sslmate.com/labs/crl_watch/

CRL Watch is currently tracking problems with 29 distinct issuers.
The most common problem is CAs disclosing the wrong URL in the CCADB.
Remember, the disclosed CRL should be for certificates issued by
the CA, not the CRL that covers the CA certificate.

CAs should examine https://sslmate.com/labs/crl_watch/ and address
any problems.

Regards,
Andrew

Ben Wilson

Feb 20, 2023, 1:44:27 PM2/20/23
to Andrew Ayer, pub...@ccadb.org
Thanks for doing this, Andrew.  It is very helpful.
Sincerely yours,
Ben

Ryan Dickson

Feb 22, 2023, 8:51:15 AM2/22/23
to Ben Wilson, Andrew Ayer, pub...@ccadb.org
+1.

Thank you for making both OCSP Watch and now CRL Watch available to the community, Andrew!

Gordon Bock

Feb 22, 2023, 12:45:27 PM2/22/23
to Ryan Dickson, Ben Wilson, Andrew Ayer, pub...@ccadb.org

Thanks Andrew! Looks like MS has some offending certificates in there. I reached out to our internal teams to investigate.

Cheers,

-Gordon