Preventing Spammers on CCADB Public

Kathleen Wilson

Jan 19, 2023, 12:47:57 PM1/19/23
to CCADB Public
All,

I have changed the group settings to require that a CCADB Steering Committee member approve new email addresses before they are added as members of this group.

Unless a potentially new member sends us email separately, we'll assume that email addresses like m071...@gmail.com are spam.

Also, if you receive (or have received) a spam reply to your post in CCADB Public, please forward that email to Ben or me so that we can ban the spammer from the group.

Thanks,
Kathleen

Kurt Seifried

Jan 19, 2023, 2:02:04 PM1/19/23
to Kathleen Wilson, CCADB Public
I would point out this will prevent vendors like bjca.cn from signing up, which to be fair I’m ok with, organizations should at a minimum use their own email domain when speaking on behalf of their organization.

Rob Stradling

Jan 19, 2023, 5:15:49 PM1/19/23
to Kathleen Wilson, Kurt Seifried, CCADB Public
> I would point out this will prevent vendors like bjca.cn from signing up, which to be fair I’m ok with, organizations should at a minimum use their own email domain when speaking on behalf of their organization.

Is it a requirement that every participant on this list MUST always be acting in the role of spokesperson for the organization with which they are affiliated?

On MDSP you will find me "posting in a personal capacity, with views not necessarily representing the views of Sectigo (unless otherwise noted)" [1], and I have been posting to pub...@ccadb.org on that same basis.

Jan 19, 2023, 5:26:28 PM1/19/23
to Rob Stradling, Kathleen Wilson, Kurt Seifried, CCADB Public
Sorry, what part of Kathleen's message makes it seem like bjca.cn will not be able to participate? I believe the issue with the example address given is that it is a "Firstname Bunchanumbers" account, not the fact that it's simply a gmail account. I don't believe Kathleen is saying that new members will only be approved if their address is already listed as a contact in CCADB; this is just a method to allow group admins to review the first post from new users and ensure that its content is not spam before allowing it through.

Aaron

Kurt Seifried

Jan 19, 2023, 7:18:47 PM1/19/23
to Rob Stradling, Kathleen Wilson, CCADB Public
It would probably be good for people to either: state clearly that they're speaking personally or on behalf of some org, or (as I plan to do, assuming the CSA gets more officially involved in the root CA process) signup with my "work" account as well to make it clear when it's "Kurt" talking and when it's "Kurt on behalf of the CSA" talking. I would also assume for the vast majority of people here on behalf of a CA that they are here, well, on behalf of the CA (so if that's not the case, they should probably make it clear).
--
Kurt Seifried (He/Him)
ku...@seifried.org