0.9a12, now with hopefully stable audio backends

Austin Hicks

Mar 6, 2017, 6:11:43 PM3/6/17
to libaud...@camlorn.net
Hi,

Pretty much the subject. Reiterating what I said in the last message,
we now expose mixahead to you again. Python users shouldn't have to
change code, but Lav_serverSetOutputDevice now takes an extra parameter.

The defaults are currently mixahead=2, sr=44100, and block_size=1024.
Including the Windows mixer, this gives software latency of about 30MS.
The whole backend is different, so it's hard for me to know what good
defaults are going to be until people start complaining (or not,
hopefully). Please test this with any of Q's apps and/or TWBlue not
running: there are other things that play with timer frequency, but at
least 75% of the people here are blind, and the primary culprit for
playing with timer frequencies and hiding these bugs is Bass.

I rewrote the Alsa backend. The latency over there is incredibly
horrible because of things beyond my control; I may implement basic
support for Pulse shortly. I am not sure Libaudioverse currently
compiles on Linux, but I will be working on that this week.

I also fixed the multipanner. I don't know when it broke because almost
no one uses it.

After this and folding the dependencies into one repository, I think the
only thin left that we absolutely have to have before 0.9 is the
bindings stuff. This is something like half done, but getting Linux
stability is important because LibrePlanet. We're getting there, though.

And remember: it's pip install --pre --upgrade libaudioverse. The --pre
is important.

Chris Norman

Mar 7, 2017, 1:51:29 AM3/7/17
to libaud...@camlorn.net
Good work mate, you're the best!

Also, doubt it's a thing, but my gmp seems to be gaining ground and also
uses bass until I can use libaudioverse, so probably want to try without
that running too.
> --
> https://groups.google.com/a/camlorn.net/d/msgid/libaudioverse/dadbe530-9306-c6c1-e9c8-35b6ef4a5adf%40camlorn.net.

Austin Hicks

Mar 7, 2017, 12:12:33 PM3/7/17
to libaud...@camlorn.net
It's probably moot. I don't see any way at all that the new backend can
possibly be coupled to the timer frequency, and I'm basically following
MSDN's preferred method to the letter. Only time will tell, though, and
there's enough other tricky little things in there that I'd not be
surprised if we still had some sort of problem somewhere.