Complying with MPL2

John

Jul 24, 2016, 5:57:35 AM7/24/16
to libaudioverse
Hi,

I'd like to test libaudioverse as an alternative to openal-soft. Can I confirm that it would be possible to statically link to libaudioverse in a commercial application if 1) I publish any changes made to libaudioverse and 2) I disclose the fact that I'm using libaudioverse somewhere a user would see it?

John

Austin Hicks

Jul 27, 2016, 2:56:13 PM7/27/16
to libaud...@camlorn.net

You should be fine to statically link it.  I don't think credit is even required, but it would be nice.

The main difference between MPL2 and something like Apache or BSD is that you have to make any changes you make to Libaudioverse itself available in some form to people who download the application.  The main difference between GPL and MPL2 is that MPL2 doesn't require any code that isn't part of Libaudioverse to be made public and can't infect your application in any way or under any circumstances.

I am of course a programmer and not a lawyer.  But if it turns out that this isn't fine, we need to talk about relicensing again.  My intent was that you'd be allowed to do exactly this when I added the MPL2 option.  If you can't, then I have failed.