requesting feedback on some possible changes

Austin Hicks

Aug 5, 2016, 2:54:08 PM8/5/16
to libaud...@camlorn.net
Hi,

While doing the work for Lav_bufferDecodeFromArray, I noticed a few
other holes which I want to close before 0.9, but only if we think I should.

First and foremost, we still have default_max_distance and the like
on EnvironmentNode. I made panning_strategy and distance_model
delegate, but apparently not some of their parameters. I'm considering
making default_max_distance max_distance, then putting a switch
delegate_max_distance on sources (defaulting to on) that makes it read
from the environment.

I'm also tempted to do the same thing with the reverb parameters,
the idea being that you can just flip off the sets you want to control
yourself on a per-source basis. My thought is that most people won't
want to, and it also opens up the possibility of integrating the reverb
into the environment so we can have regions and such.

The other change I want to make is to implement a Python base class
that disallows setting and possibly getting undefined attributes. As
the Libaudioverse API continues to move forward, I think it important
that the changes I make to it on the Python side crash instead of
silently doing nothing. In addition, an eventual move to Cython, CFFI,
or a manually written C extension would also prevent the bad practice of
hanging your own stuff off the objects (I do expect people to try this
at some point; I've done it myself with other things). Of the stuff in
this e-mail, I think that this change is probably the most
controversial. I could be talked out of it.

If I do any of the above, my thought is that it will be Libaudioverse
0.9a5 and the last alpha before regular old 0.9. Pending no one finding
bugs, of course.

Christopher Toth

Aug 5, 2016, 7:39:29 PM8/5/16
to libaud...@camlorn.net
If you can accomplish this in something like a two week time span, all of these changes sound fantastic and much needed.

Sent from my iPhone

Austin Hicks

Aug 6, 2016, 2:16:10 PM8/6/16
to libaud...@camlorn.net
These should be doable in a 2-hour time span, and the better question is
why I didn't do the first part of it earlier. I'm presuming it got lost
in the rearchitecture of the 3D stuff I did a while ago, but we'll never
know.

Holding for any possible objections until tomorrow, and then doing it if
there aren't any.