Minor Software Update tonight (telegram alert format change)

67 vues

CamectArup

non lue,
7 mai 2020, 01:54:1707/05/2020
à Camect User Forum
We're pushing out a minor software update tonight. The only change in it is that Telegram alerts will contain an mp4 instead of an animated gif. This reduces the size of the messages being sent to Telegram.

Telegram alerts should look almost the same as before. The only change is that the new alerts won't have the timestamp embedded in the image. Instead, we've added the timestamp to the text of the alert.

Will Stillwell

non lue,
7 mai 2020, 10:38:3307/05/2020
à CamectArup,Camect User Forum
I like the better quality of the MP4 in telegram.  Any particular reason you can't do the same thing in Emails too?

Also what determines the length of the clip.  I have seen 6 seconds, 8 seconds, 11 seconds and I thought I saw a 16 second clip but can't find it now.    They are a little bigger physically in size.  Like that.   If they are smaller than the GIF for Telegram, they would be smaller in email too I would think.

FYI, my cameras have a time stamp on the video already so I get that too.

~Will

On Wed, May 6, 2020 at 10:54 PM CamectArup <ar...@camect.com> wrote:
We're pushing out a minor software update tonight. The only change in it is that Telegram alerts will contain an mp4 instead of an animated gif. This reduces the size of the messages being sent to Telegram.

Telegram alerts should look almost the same as before. The only change is that the new alerts won't have the timestamp embedded in the image. Instead, we've added the timestamp to the text of the alert.

Arno Hautala

non lue,
7 mai 2020, 11:03:0407/05/2020
à fo...@camect.com
> Any particular reason you can't do the same thing in Emails too?

I'm betting there's less support for playing videos in email clients.
Maybe an option to switch formats?

Christopher Nickl

non lue,
7 mai 2020, 11:30:2807/05/2020
à Camect User Forum
Agreed on the ability to raise the quality a bit.  While i don't need 1080p GIFs/MP4s something higher then "2001 camera phone" quality would be nice.

Will Stillwell

non lue,
7 mai 2020, 11:53:4607/05/2020
à Christopher Nickl,Camect User Forum
I didn't think of the format thing.   Uh yep  comes across as an attachment when sent as a MP4.   So not a good idea.   never mind.
~Will

Russell Singleton

non lue,
7 mai 2020, 16:50:2507/05/2020
à Will Stillwell,Christopher Nickl,Camect User Forum
I like that the .mp4 videos are a little larger than the previous .gifs when viewed in the Telegram app. They also seem to have less missing frames and play more consistently. That said, I’d still like the resolution and frame rate to be increased a little. If you have to choose between the two, the low frame rate and consequential jumpy playback is my biggest bug bear.

Regards,

Russell

On May 7, 2020, at 10:53, Will Stillwell <will.st...@gmail.com> wrote:

CamectArup

non lue,
7 mai 2020, 17:01:1107/05/2020
à Camect User Forum

On Thursday, May 7, 2020 at 8:30:28 AM UTC-7, Christopher Nickl wrote:
Agreed on the ability to raise the quality a bit.  While i don't need 1080p GIFs/MP4s something higher then "2001 camera phone" quality would be nice.

The email image settings are the way they because we need to keep the total message size under 250k. Some mail providers treat larger messages with lower priority -- i.e. will take longer to deliver them, and we figured that delivery latency is the more important factor for an alert.

Animated gifs do not encode data efficiently, but, as others mentioned, we can't send an mp4 because few, if any providers will play it inline if we do that.

Fred Taylor-Young

non lue,
7 mai 2020, 17:23:1907/05/2020
à Camect User Forum
I only use the Telegram alerts (and I love that they're now mp4, it's handy being able to pause the brief clip!), but thought I'd suggest APNG or WebP for emails in case it's useful...

I've not tested them in an email message, but both are fairly well supported by modern operating systems and browsers:

Russell Singleton

non lue,
7 mai 2020, 18:33:0207/05/2020
à Fred Taylor-Young,Camect User Forum
Arup, just to be clear, my comments pertained to improving the quality of the video clip in the Telegram alerts. I think most of us are looking for an improvement in this regard, and personally I don’t use/care about email alerts. I agree that email is not a viable alert mechanism for time sensitive messaging.

Regards,

Russell

On May 7, 2020, at 16:23, 'Fred Taylor-Young' via Camect User Forum <fo...@camect.com> wrote:

Neel Patel

non lue,
8 mai 2020, 14:11:0508/05/2020
à Camect User Forum
Noticed the update included the timestamp format being in 24h time. Could we switch that to the timestamp/format of the Camect unit as per regional preference?

CamectArup

non lue,
9 mai 2020, 03:32:3909/05/2020
à Camect User Forum

On Friday, May 8, 2020 at 11:11:05 AM UTC-7, Neel Patel wrote:
Noticed the update included the timestamp format being in 24h time. Could we switch that to the timestamp/format of the Camect unit as per regional preference?

We'll fix this, although it will be a while as it's a little more work than what you're probably imagining. (The image is generated on your device, where your preference is readily available. The text timestamp is currently added in the cloud, where it doesn't have easy access to your preference.)

Neel Patel

non lue,
12 mai 2020, 00:00:3812/05/2020
à Camect User Forum
Thanks, appreciate the reply and taking time out to provide further context on it. Personally I'm fine with it, it's my wife that was confused initially :)
Répondre à tous
Répondre à l'auteur
Transférer
0 nouveau message