Connected to Google Drive not worknig

Cameron Vandiver

Mar 5, 2020, 4:31:34 PM3/5/20
to Camect User Forum
I am trying to add my Google Drive account.  I get to the page where it states "DISMISS" and verify, but when I click dismiss, it goes back to the "Create" screen and Google drive has not been added for alert videos.

CamectArup

Mar 5, 2020, 4:44:10 PM3/5/20
to Camect User Forum
Hi Cameron,

    I assume you checked the dropdown after adding your Google Drive and the only entry is still "New ..." ? If so, please run through the entire sequence again and then soon after it fails, use "Report Bug" from the dropdown you get if you click your profile pic at the top right. Check the checkboxes to include logs and settings from your device so we can see if any error was recorded.

If possible, it would also be helpful if you could make a screen recording of the experience so we see exactly what you're seeing -- but if that's not easy let's first try the bug report and see if that will shed any light on what's going on.

Cameron Vandiver

Mar 5, 2020, 5:15:13 PM3/5/20
to Camect User Forum

I have a video of my steps.  Where do you want me to put it?  It is 40 MByte.

CamectArup

Mar 5, 2020, 7:08:51 PM3/5/20
to Camect User Forum
Thanks ... Perhaps you could put in on Google drive and send a shareable link to sup...@camect.com

CamectArup

Mar 5, 2020, 7:46:25 PM3/5/20
to Camect User Forum
By the way, if you look in the notifications dropdown (to the right of the home settings cog wheel), do you see anything related to your Google Drive? From the log you submitted it looks like you've partially added the drive, but didn't complete the very last step of confirming the addition in the UI.

Perhaps your video will shed additional light on what happened (because it should have shown you a popup allowing you to confirm), but I think you should be able to see a notification about this in the dropdown, and with any luck continue on to the last step of adding it.

CamectArup

Mar 5, 2020, 10:57:10 PM3/5/20
to Camect User Forum
Although we haven't seen your video yet, we think we understand what happened. There's a bug that occurs if you try to add Google drive from the top page, which allows multiple homes to be viewed at the same time. It works if you open the single home view, which you get to by clicking the name of your home from the top page.

So, if you go to the single home view and then view your notifications dropdown in the top bar, I think you should be able to finish the process of adding the drive. (If not, just try adding again in the single-home view and see if it will work for you.)

Cameron Vandiver

Mar 6, 2020, 1:12:54 PM3/6/20
to Camect User Forum
OK, the tool did add my Google Drive.  It was just not clear that it did so.  I think you need to clean up some o the GUI so that we as users get better feedback on what happened.

I have some questions.  My Camect until records to local disk all the time and captures "alerts" to the internal disk but also uploads that event video to my Google Drive cloud storage as well.  Is this correct?

I have taken a few screenshots that I need clarification  on:

In the file named Capture1.jpg, this is taken on one camera settings page, I can tell this one camera to upload alert videos to the cloud or if I select "USE HOME SETTINGS" it will use the global setting.  Is this correct?

It looks like you can add cloud locally and globally, is this a bug?

In the file named Capture2.jpg, What are the different disks show here?  Is the first one for the Camect OS and the second is for user videos?  Are these the same disk just different partitions?  Why can I select the "internal" disk if it is for the OS?  Should this be hidden?

In the file named Capture3.jpg, What is the WiFi settings for?  I put my Camect next to my router and thus have it as a wired connection, is this for built-in wireless connect if I did not want to could not use the wired connection?

On Thursday, March 5, 2020 at 3:31:34 PM UTC-6, Cameron Vandiver wrote:
Capture1.JPG
Capture2.JPG
Capture3.JPG

Cameron Vandiver

Mar 6, 2020, 1:14:41 PM3/6/20
to Camect User Forum
BTW, I have some questions since I just started using my unit this week.  However, overall I LOVE IT!  I am very happy that I backed the development.  I think it will only get better over time.  Thanks!

CamectArup

Mar 6, 2020, 2:02:03 PM3/6/20
to Camect User Forum
Re: Google Drive ... Yes, sorry about the case you bumped into. We'll be making some changes to make it clearer when people add it following the flow that you did.

Re: Recording and alert video.  Yes, it records continuously to the internal drive, and, if you configure it to, will upload your alert video to cloud storage as well.

Capture1: Yes, "use home settings" means use the default for the whole home. If you uncheck that box you can override the global default for a specific camera. This is explained in the "Learning More about Camect" guide linked off camect.com/welcome in the "Configuring Settings" section.

Why does it seem like a bug that you can add storage both locally and globally?  You can configure a single camera to upload, or you can set all your cameras up to upload by default.

Capture2: You can't actually select the "internal disk" for video storage if you have the large drive active. (When you try it will say the partition is too small.) However, if the large disk is unavailable (e.g. because you detached the bottom part of the unit) there's a limited amount of space available on the internal SSD that can be used for video storage.

Capture3: No, your Camect device has no ability to be on WiFi. Like the rest of the settings on that page, those WiFi settings are the global defaults for settings on your cameras. When you buy new cameras and plug them into your network, Camect can detect and set them up automatically if they're from a brand for which we have enhanced support (e.g. Amcrest).  For WiFi cameras that can be plugged in too, you plug them in, Camect will configure them (including WiFi), and then you disconnect them from the wired network and they should come up on the WiFi network.

Cameron Vandiver

Mar 6, 2020, 2:09:35 PM3/6/20
to Camect User Forum
Thanks for the explanations.

CamectArup

Mar 6, 2020, 2:10:06 PM3/6/20
to Camect User Forum
On Friday, March 6, 2020 at 10:14:41 AM UTC-8, Cameron Vandiver wrote:
BTW, I have some questions since I just started using my unit this week.  However, overall I LOVE IT!  I am very happy that I backed the development.  I think it will only get better over time.  Thanks!

Thanks! We are glad to have you aboard and very happy to hear that you're enjoying the product.

If you want to help us out a bit, please help to spread the word if you participate in any other forums or other communities where Camect may be of interest. (Please don't spam though -- only share where it's relevant.) We're a small company, and one of our biggest challenges is getting people who would like Camect to find out that it exists.

4K

May 12, 2020, 10:49:10 PM5/12/20
to Camect User Forum
After you improve the alert detection, user interface, and implement user feedback some more you shouldn't have a problem getting people to switch. It's like you're sitting on a gold mine right now. Ring, Nest, and others are expensive and not as reliable, with their main benefit over Camect being their ease of use. After you're done making some more improvements and make your product available on Amazon where people can get started in two days or less you shouldn't have an issue getting a lot more customers. It would be cool if you could get promoted on Prime Day next year too. It's expensive ($500 fee for having a lightning deal according to one website) but you should have a lot of improvements out by then which should help make sure your reviews are mostly positive and with your subscription service enabled that could help justify the $500 fee and offering the box at a lower price.