Camect won't reconnect

Brian Robertson

Mar 10, 2020, 3:34:37 PM3/10/20
to Camect User Forum
If my router loses internet then Camect will not reconnect unless I power it off and back on. This is an issue when I am not home because then my cameras are down until I can get home to do this. Any suggestions?

CamectArup

Mar 10, 2020, 3:41:12 PM3/10/20
to Camect User Forum
That's pretty bizarre (and not supposed to be the case). When you say "will not reconnect" do you mean that you can't get to the UI (i.e. it shows as disconnected at home.camect.com) or do you mean it's not reconnecting to your cameras?

Next time this happens, use "Report Bug" and include the logs from the device right after you reboot it, so we can see what it thought was going on while disconnected.

Also, do you still have Camect behind a secondary router, or is it connected to your main router now?

Brian Robertson

Mar 10, 2020, 3:44:36 PM3/10/20
to Camect User Forum
It shows disconnect at home.camect.com. I just reset it like 15 minutes ago so I just submitted a bug report. Not sure if there is too much time lapse for you to see it, but I will see if I can repeat it later when my wife is not using the internet.

CamectArup

Mar 10, 2020, 4:34:49 PM3/10/20
to Camect User Forum
I think we got enough info to troubleshoot this and we can make a chance in a future release to fix it. Thanks for reporting, and we'll reach out if we need you to try it again.

CamectArup

Mar 10, 2020, 6:44:58 PM3/10/20
to Camect User Forum
Actually, I spoke too soon. After looking at the logs more carefully, that last failure to reconnect was more complicated than it appeared at first glance.

Are you able to reproduce this problem easily? If possible, we'd like to see what is on the HDMI diagnostic output when your device is stuck in the failing-to-reconnect state ... So, if you can reproduce the behavior easily, or if it's convenient to do so, perhaps you could connect your device to an HDMI monitor or tv and leave it connected so that we can see what it says the next time this occurs.

Brian Robertson

Mar 10, 2020, 8:09:32 PM3/10/20
to Camect User Forum
I just submitted another bug report and emailed you screenshots of what was on the TV via HDMI.

CamectArup

Mar 10, 2020, 9:54:50 PM3/10/20
to Camect User Forum
Thanks. What did you do to recreate the issue? Did you just unplug your router's internet link for a while?

This case appears to be in line with what we thought the problem would be at first glance on the other one. The previous one looked like it might have had more issues. We'll start by fixing the one issue we're aware of, and we can see if there's anything else to do in addition to that.

Trevor DeMartini

Mar 25, 2020, 2:31:31 PM3/25/20
to Camect User Forum
On Tuesday, March 10, 2020 at 8:54:50 PM UTC-5, CamectArup wrote:
> Thanks. What did you do to recreate the issue? Did you just unplug your router's internet link for a while?
>

> This case appears to be in line with what we thought the problem would be at first glance on the other one. The previous one looked like it might have had more issues. We'll start by fixing the one issue we're aware of, and we can see if there's anything else to do in addition to that.

I'd like to know more about what was learned from this example. I also am unable to reconnect after simply moving my router to a different part of the house.

CamectArup

Mar 25, 2020, 2:41:46 PM3/25/20
to Camect User Forum
What was learned is that the device needs to do more to detect and reconnect a connection that was silently dropped, e.g. when a router causes the connection drop. There will be a fix for this in the next release, but we have a few things to resolve before we push the next release.

For now, you'll have to power-cycle your device to get it back. Tap the power button firmly for about 1 second and then wait up to 35 seconds for it to power down. If it doesn't shut off, just disconnect and reconnect the power cord.