Nest is lowering quality settings on Nest cameras to save bandwidth ....

CamectArup

Apr 14, 2020, 7:04:12 PM4/14/20
to Camect User Forum

We just wanted to be sure that everyone using Nest cameras is aware of the announcement below ... You may see a drop in quality from your Nest cams once they make this change unless you had your cameras set to 720p already.

This is also an excellent time to think about converting to IP cameras to completely eliminate the needless streaming to/from the cloud if you're open to that.

With so many people working and attending school from home, we’re stretching our resources in ways we haven’t before—including the internet. As local internet resources are stretched past their limits, you and many others may have noticed interruptions like dropped video calls or frozen screens. During this time, it’s critical for us to work together to ensure we find ways to help the community at large.

To answer the global call from ISPs to prioritize bandwidth for learning and working, in the next few days we’re going to be adjusting the quality and bandwidth setting on Nest cameras to the default setting.

This change is temporary, and you may notice a difference in quality, but only the quality and bandwidth setting will be adjusted. All other settings will stay the same, and all core features will continue to work. However, if your needs require a higher video quality setting, you can easily change it back at any time by going to your camera settings.

You’ll see a notification from your Nest app when the change has been made, and we’ll let you know when this setting is restored to its original state. You don’t need to do anything, but if you have questions or need help you can find more information on our support page.

This is one of the many ways Google is helping people stay safe, informed, and connected. One way you can help is by making sure your cameras are only on when you need them by using a schedule, or using Home/Away Assist. We thank you for being part of our Nest community, and together we can help ensure that everyone stays connected during this unprecedented time.

The Google Nest team