Performance issues and alerting areas

Adam Edwards

May 1, 2020, 10:46:40 AM5/1/20
to Camect User Forum
As of 4.25.2020 I am running 6x 3MP Hikvision dome cameras.

Previous of 4.25.2020 I was running 3x 3MP Hikvision dome cameras.

Before 4.25.20 I was getting anywhere from 15-75 alerts(including interesting, uninteresting, and suppressed alerts)

After adding the additional 3 cameras I am getting anywhere from 1000-2500 alerts(including interesting, uninteresting, and suppressed alerts)

I have noticed when I am watching playback of the interesting alerts that there is a lot of video stutter happening, to the point that I am having to download the videos to watch them. I have had a couple times where the downloaded video stuttered just as much as the camect feed did. Which was resolved after downloading a second time.

I'm assuming that the playback stutter is coming form the fact that the Camect is processing upwards of 2500 alerts to determine what is including interesting, uninteresting, or should be suppressed?

Is there a way to lower the number of alerts that I am receiving to improve the performance?

I have noticed that in the uninteresting alerts there are areas that I have alerts set to be suppressed so in my opinion the Camect should 100% ignore everything that is in these alerting areas. That would greatly cut down on the uninteresting alerts by a lot.

CamectArup

May 1, 2020, 8:44:47 PM5/1/20
to Camect User Forum
Based on the alert numbers you mentioned, it sounds like your new cameras are pointed at scenes that see a lot more activity than the previous set?  If they're pointed at scenes at are constantly busy then yes, the video from them probably does account for the drop in performance.

There's currently no way to make part of the scene as areas where nothing should be processed at all. Even if we had that, it wouldn't help all that much -- That's because your cameras generate a lot more data when there is motion, and that data all has to be decoded and analyzed at least a little bit to determine whether the activity is in the region you marked off. It would save the later processing required to do the AI, but quite a bit of work is required even before the AI.

However, some Hikvision cameras have a "privacy mask" feature that can be used to black out the video in some parts of the image. If your cameras have this, you could use it to blot out the areas of frequent motion that you don't care about, and save Camect a lot of processing.

Downloaded video should not stutter ... I'm wondering if what you experienced is because of the specific start and end times you picked. If you export a clip that's from entirely within an area of motion on the timeline (dark or light green) you should get video at the full frame rate that came from the camera. If you either marker is outside of the motion area, you'll instead get a clip with a low fps that's always being recorded in the background. We don't currently merge the two types of recordings for export as that would be pretty expensive and take a long tme.