Package Detection

Rob Taft

May 11, 2020, 5:34:54 PM5/11/20
to Camect User Forum
I think package detection would be a major selling point for Camect.  I've had packages stolen from my porch so I try to bring them inside ASAP.

I know this has been touched on in other threads, but wanted to provide a good example.

The attached video shows a condition that Camect didn't send an alert (correctly)...I have the sidewalk blocked off due to heavy traffic, and only have an alert setup for person detection on the porch.  The delivery person didn't enter the porch so no alert.  However, I think a new detection algorithm that looks for packages in a given area would be fantastic.

The way I think this could be done is by comparing still images from previous timepoints (i.e. 5 minutes ago).  If a new object is detected and remains stationary for X number of minutes, then it sends an alert.  I know shadows would pose a significant challenge, but I assume the AI could be taught to rule those out.

Thoughts?
Front-Door_20200510T141913_8.1s.mp4

4K

May 11, 2020, 8:47:31 PM5/11/20
to Camect User Forum
This is what I think could work, but we need the Camect team to comment to know for sure. Although they could just program it for a package, I'd like them to follow your suggestion because some people might want to know about any object and your method could maybe make it easier.

It's good everything is recorded so if you know a package is missing you can check, but having an alert would make it easier especially if you weren't expecting a package you might never even know it was missing.

Here is another discussion where others commented on this (you already mentioned it but someone else might not know where it's at): https://groups.google.com/a/camect.com/forum/#!category-topic/forum/IzmUa27ak_g

CamectArup

May 11, 2020, 10:22:53 PM5/11/20
to Camect User Forum
Unfortunately I don't have much useful to add vs what I said in the other discussion ... i.e., We do think that this is a useful feature and would like to do it, but it doesn't fit right into the framework we have now, which is about detecting moving objects. That means it's significantly more work to add than other requested objects like "deer" and "Royal Mail" were. We will certainly look into it, but it's  a long-term feature request rather than something that can materialize quickly.  I know that some other smart camera systems do claim package detection, but I'm not aware of any of them actually doing it well yet.

Rob Taft

May 12, 2020, 4:12:06 PM5/12/20
to Camect User Forum
I won't pretend to have any level of expertise in object recognition or the framework you have set up, so it sounds like this would be a lot of work you.  I bet if you polled your users it would rank pretty high though.

I'm sure this is overly simplified, but my understanding of how motion detection works is looking at subsequent frames and detecting pixel changes.  The method I am proposing is doing something very similar, but rather than looking at subsequent frames, it would compare frames that are spaced apart every minute (or 5 minutes) and identify the presence of a new object that remains stationary.

Again, I'm not saying this falls within your current framework but it seems less complex than the motion detection you are already doing.