Option to disable timestamp from recordings

David Sinclair

Mar 22, 2020, 2:58:16 PM3/22/20
to Camect User Forum
When I save a recording (e.g. a GIF summary), Camect adds a timestamp in the upper-left corner. But I include a timestamp on my cameras (I gather the default settings override turns that off, but I declined that).  So I end up with two, e.g. this example.

Can you please add an option to not add the timestamp?

CamectArup

Mar 22, 2020, 3:13:02 PM3/22/20
to Camect User Forum
Why do you prefer having the camera's timestamp to having the Camect one? (i.e. Why not turn off the camera's timestamp instead?)

We'll discuss this one, but we're generally reluctant to add options that aren't going to be useful to many people. We usually choose to do the thing that's right for most people in favor of cluttering the UI and adding to our maintenance load.

David Sinclair

Mar 22, 2020, 3:20:10 PM3/22/20
to Camect User Forum
One reason is that I prefer 24-hour time. But the main reason is that my semi-automated workflow for capturing images (setting the metadata to the correct time, adding a watermark, and saving as HEIC) uses the native camera view, and I want the native datestamp for that.

I might switch to using Camect for capture eventually, but I have too many cameras for Camect, which limits that feasibility, plus some UI aspects like too-small controls (previously mentioned) make it easier to use the native UI at present.

CamectArup

Mar 22, 2020, 3:24:06 PM3/22/20
to Camect User Forum
On just the issue of 12- vs 24- hr time format: Are you aware that you can switch it using the profile pic dropdown?  Is that setting not being respected in your summaries?

David Sinclair

Mar 22, 2020, 3:53:16 PM3/22/20
to Camect User Forum
Oh yeah, I do have that set. Sorry, I misremembered the specific issue there; I didn't want the time zone part. Though again, that is a minor quibble that I could live with; the workflow point is the main issue.

Eric Meeson

Mar 31, 2020, 3:27:05 PM3/31/20
to Camect User Forum
I would also prefer to not have any added stamping, I'd rather leave it up to the camera as well for formatting and local viewing reasons as David said. Plus the 24 hour time thing. I can also use the camera's built in overlays to highlight where the camera is with a label in the video which is nice.

That said I downloaded a clip (not a gif summary) and did not have the timestamp appended by the Camect. I'm glad at least you chose the top left (which seems odd to me because that's not where timestamps usually go) because it won't overlap my built-in labeling.

Eric Meeson

Mar 31, 2020, 3:28:54 PM3/31/20
to Camect User Forum
I answered on the 24 hour thing because David said it, also forgetting I already had that set in mine as well. Anyway, the rest of my thoughts are unchanged.

CamectArup

Mar 31, 2020, 3:34:50 PM3/31/20
to Camect User Forum
The timestamp being put into the image only applies only to gif summaries, not exported clips.  In clips, the timestamp is added as a subtitle stream, visible if you use a video player that has support for subtitles.

4K

May 12, 2020, 10:59:28 PM5/12/20
to Camect User Forum
Do you plan on adding a timestamp option on the video itself?

Nikhil Sethi

Jul 16, 2020, 2:08:50 PM7/16/20
to Camect User Forum
QuicktimePlayer on mac does not seem to be able to see the subtitle stream. Can we please have the subtitle appear on video itself? When something interesting happens from multiple videos, it is much easier to share the video with people if the timestamp is on the video itself, rather than giving them tech support on how to get the timestamp to show up.

Eric Meeson

Jul 16, 2020, 2:18:18 PM7/16/20
to Camect User Forum
You can usually enable timestamp on recording directly on your camera (rather than through the camect) so the timestamp is sent with the video stream in the first place. This is the typical behavior for other NVR systems that I've used, and the expected use case for most POE cameras.

I have timestamps turned on with both the couple wyze cams, and then slew of other Lorex/Dahua/Amcrest POE cameras.

On Thursday, July 16, 2020 at 2:08:50 PM UTC-4, Nikhil Sethi wrote:
QuicktimePlayer on mac does not seem to be able to see the subtitle stream. Can we please have the subtitle appear on video itself? When something interesting happens from multiple videos, it is much easier to share the video with people if the timestamp is on the video itself, rather than giving them tech support on how to get the timestamp to show up.

On Tuesday, March 31, 2020 at 12:34:50 PM UTC-7, CamectArup wrote:
The timestamp being put into the image only applies only to gif summaries, not exported clips.  In clips, the timestamp is added as a subtitle stream, visible if you use a video player that has support for subtitles. You