System Overloaded Messages

FredJenks

Jul 27, 2020, 5:16:57 PM7/27/20
to Camect User Forum
Hi, I replaced 2 defective cameras in my security system yesterday and today I am getting system overloaded messages for 2 cameras on Camect. It is not specific to the 2 new cameras as I tried rebooting the Camect box and 2 different cameras show system overloaded (and are disabled).
All my cameras are behind a Dahua NVR and are visible there, except a doorbell camera that is wifi.
In total, I have 8 cameras (behind NVR) and 1 separate doorbell camera. Currently, the doorbell camera is one of devices displaying system overloaded message so it's not the NVR.
Cameras range from 3mp to 8mp and I am using RTSP stream to detect them in Camect.
Any help is appreciated.

CamectArup

Jul 27, 2020, 5:27:27 PM7/27/20
to Camect User Forum
On this device, we have a max recommended usage limit of 24MP for normal home security usage. Your system is reporting a total of 37.5MP right now, so it's well beyond the limit.

We have always tried to enforce the limit at 36MP, because beyond that it's possible for the device to run so low on memory that you could get into a crash loop and lose control of the system. However, we had some bugs in how this limit was enforced that were corrected in a recent sofware release. If you had all cameras working before and no longer do, that's probably what happened.

Since you are recording to a Dahua NVR at full resolution anyway, it's probably worth using a lower resolution substream from the NVR into Camect for the 4K cameras. If you use a 1080p substream, you'll very likely find that your detections work fine, and the detail is enough for 95% of your use cases ... And you still have the full-resolution backup on the NVR if you need the full detail.

Fred Jenkins

Jul 27, 2020, 10:17:18 PM7/27/20
to Camect User Forum
Ok, that sounds like exactly what may be going on. Since I had to replace the cameras, I upgraded both from 3MP to 8MP.
Where do I go to change Camect substream to 1080P?

CamectArup

Jul 27, 2020, 10:36:33 PM7/27/20
to Camect User Forum
Are we talking about standalone 4K cameras or for cameras connected to an NVR?

Either way, it is different for every brand. You'll have to connect to the web interface of the camera or NVR itself, by going to its IP address and signing in. Look around in the video configuration for a way to configure a substream resolution.

If you are using a camera via the NVR, this is probably documented in the owner's manual for the NVR.

You'll also need to know what the substream RTSP url is. If you're lucky, the substream configuration will also tell you the substream url ... but if not, for major brands we may be able to help you find it.

If you're NOT using an NVR,  note that the autodetected variant of the camera that Camect finds always attempts to use the main stream.  You'll have to disable the autodetected camera and add it using the RTSP url of the substream, just as you would if using an NVR.

Once you have a substream set up, disable the auto-detected camera in Camect, and go to
      home settings > devices > add camera

Set the type to "Stream URL" and enter the RTSP url of the substream.

If it doesn't immediately work, you can test the substream with a standalone RTSP client like VLC (available for all platforms from videolan.org) to make sure your substream url is working before trying to put it into Camect.