Resolutions/frame rates/bitrates

Tom Ring

Apr 20, 2020, 2:36:52 PM4/20/20
to Camect User Forum
I have three 5MP Reolink cameras - all currently at full resolution (2560 x 1920), 30fps, 6144kbps max bitrate.  On the Reolink app (and also Home Assistant) the cameras are very clear and smooth.  Through Camect - on maximum resolution view - the quality is right, but it misses some frames - the video appears jerky.

When I watch footage back locally on Camect live, it's quite pixelated and again jerky.  Also when I download the footage, it downloads at 640x480px, whether I select full video or summarised with the resolution forced.

I assume that I may be running Camect beyond it's limits - but I don't know?

Has anyone used the same cameras and got them working?  Can anyone advise resolutions/bitrates/fps that work?

To try and fix this I am now running all cameras on their own VLAN, through their own router, but this hasn't helped.

Any ideas?

CamectArup

Apr 20, 2020, 7:51:26 PM4/20/20
to Camect User Forum
At 25MP total, you areclose to the limits of what your Camect device can do (and strictly speaking, over it, because we recommend a max of 24MP).  Whether or not it's okay depends on how much motion they're observing.

Downloaded clips should not be 640x480px though -- What happens if you mark off a clip and then click download without changing any of the options from default? (The default should be "full-length video").  If you get a 640x480 clip, use "Report Bug" right after doing this.

Jerkiness during playback -- especially at higher resolutions -- is not necessarily a sign that your device is overloaded to the extent that it's failing to do its main duties. One problem there is that all the video usually has to be transcoded. That work has the lower priority vs recording video and analyzing for alerts, and it most likely to not be possible at high frame rate if you're viewing at max resolution -- unless you're in one of the situations where the video can be send without transcoding. This was discussed recently in the "How to Determine if your Camect is Overloaded" thread. Did you happen to read through that one? (There are other potential causes of jerkiness too, also mentioned on that thread.)

Tom Ring

Apr 21, 2020, 8:27:51 AM4/21/20
to Camect User Forum
I only have 3 x 5MP so 15MP should be quite a way away from the maximum I would think?

I had mixed results last night, I tried downloading clips across multiple cameras, some downloaded at 640 x 480 and some downloaded in a format that wouldn't play back.  I'll give that another go.

I did read the other thread, but I didn't think it was the same issue - the jerkiness during playback would be fine if it seemed to be recording fine for playback and download, but it doesn't seem to be any better when played back or downloaded, which is my issue.

I'll do some more testing and send some clips and a bug report.