Use Signal instead of or in addition to Telegram for notifications

Rohitash Singh

Mar 31, 2020, 5:06:55 PM3/31/20
to Camect User Forum
Hi,

Can we explore using Signal in addition to or instead of Telegram? Generan consensus is that Signal is more reliable and completely open source so its is preferred for other conversations. I had to install Telegram just for the purposes of Camect alerts. I wold prefer to minimize my messaging apps.

Cheers
Rohitash

Eric Meeson

Apr 13, 2020, 5:08:03 PM4/13/20
to Camect User Forum
Isn't Telegram also open source? https://telegram.org/apps#source-code

Brandon Dees

May 26, 2020, 4:15:46 PM5/26/20
to Camect User Forum
I'd also prefer Signal. I believe I recall hearing that Telegram's end to end cryptography protections are considered more limited than Signal's (don't hold me to that) but the basic motive is just the convenience of using fewer messaging apps. I'd think users may also want the option of many other popular apps, but Signal is widely regarded as the top standard for security/privacy these days, so it'd be my first choice both personally and I think for a lot of Camect users.

Andrew

May 26, 2020, 4:30:03 PM5/26/20
to Camect User Forum
I 3rd this (signal)

Will Stillwell

May 27, 2020, 7:47:54 AM5/27/20
to Andrew, Camect User Forum
To be honest I never used Telegram before or Signal.  So far I have no complains with Telegram.   I would like a unified system however.  Like Trillian is unified.     I like that it was switched to MP4 for the telegram alerts.   They are nicer.

~Will

On Tue, May 26, 2020 at 1:30 PM Andrew <ago...@gmail.com> wrote:
I 3rd this (signal)

KP

May 27, 2020, 3:45:43 PM5/27/20
to Camect User Forum
I've used both Telegram and Signal. I vastly prefer Telegram for one main reason:

It syncs messages between multiple clients (mobile, desktop app, etc). The way Signal is built does not allow this (which is technically more secure, but much less functional from a user standpoint).

I like getting my Camect alerts on the desktop app when I'm on my computer, and on my phone when I'm away from the computer.

Telegram has been working perfectly for me lately. I'm very happy with it.