Switching from Nest to Google

Scott Roberts

May 25, 2020, 12:00:03 PM5/25/20
to Camect User Forum
I had to switch from Nest to Google recently -- I know it wasn't recommended. I get an error that the password isn't correct. My Google password is different from my Nest password. Even though I updated the password section for the camera, I noticed that when I click on the 'show detail' checkbox, it shows the URL with the old Nest password, even if I update the password to the new Google password.

This camera was added manually.

CamectArup

May 25, 2020, 3:12:30 PM5/25/20
to Camect User Forum
Hi Scott,

      I think this may be a deficiency that no one had reported yet, i.e. when updating the password on an existing camera, we don't update whether to sign in with Google or with Nest.

To fix this for now, I think this should work.
          1. In the Camect UI, disable and then delete all of the old Nest camera windows attached to your old "sign in with Nest" account
          2. Restart your Camect device (home settings > show advanced settings > restart)
          3. Sign in from the Nest sign-in window, or, if it doesn't appear, home settings > device > add camera, set type to "Nest" and click "add" to sign in.

Note that at the moment, Sign in with Google requires using either no 2FA, SMS, or "Tap your phone". In the next release we'll also support Google Authenticator, but it's not available yet.

Scott Roberts

May 26, 2020, 4:56:00 PM5/26/20
to Camect User Forum
Seems like this should work but I keep getting a PIN not accepted error. Google is kind of annoying with the "G-" prefix. Should that be included in the PIN or not. I tried with both and received a rejection each time. I am receiving the text message, so something is going through, just the 2FA is failing.

CamectArup

May 26, 2020, 5:00:45 PM5/26/20
to Camect User Forum
No, you should not be including the "G-" prefix.

Shortly after you try and it fails, please use "Report Bug" from home settings and include logs and settings from your device so that we can see what went wrong.

Also make sure that you're able to sign in at home.nest.com using the a web browser (not the app) and exactly the same credentials. If it doesn't work with a web browser, it won't work with Camect either. (Sometimes they require you to accept some extra user agreements before it works on the web.)

Scott Roberts

May 26, 2020, 11:28:55 PM5/26/20
to Camect User Forum
I went into Google 2-factor and turned on the 'tap to confirm' option and that seemed to fix the issue and let me add new cameras.

CamectArup

May 27, 2020, 12:41:48 AM5/27/20
to Camect User Forum
Great ... which version of 2FA were you using before you switched to "tap to confirm" ?

Markus Gutschke

Jun 1, 2020, 9:42:38 PM6/1/20
to CamectArup, Camect User Forum
I haven't seen this spelled out explicitly (but then, I haven't been reading this mailing list super carefully, either), but it sounds to me as if I cannot migrate to Google and continue using Camect, if my Google account is enrolled in "Advanced Protection". Is that a fair assessment?

Markus

On Tue, May 26, 2020 at 9:42 PM CamectArup <ar...@camect.com> wrote:
Great ... which version of 2FA were you using before you switched to "tap to confirm" ?

CamectArup

Jun 2, 2020, 12:21:46 AM6/2/20
to Camect User Forum

On Monday, June 1, 2020 at 6:42:38 PM UTC-7, Markus Gutschke wrote:
I haven't seen this spelled out explicitly (but then, I haven't been reading this mailing list super carefully, either), but it sounds to me as if I cannot migrate to Google and continue using Camect, if my Google account is enrolled in "Advanced Protection". Is that a fair assessment?

"Advanced Protection" requires you to use a hardware token that communicates via USB or bluetooth, I believe?  If so, you're right that that will not work, although it's not out of the question for future support, given that Camect has usb ports.

I assume that even if you turn on AP, you have the option to share your cameras with another account that does not have AP, and that would be our recommendation for how to use Camect. We already suggest using a separate google account for Nest access from Camect rather than using your main account. Sharing is a bit convoluted though, unfortunately. The steps you need to follow are here