Software Update (Bugfixes, and Google Authenticator support for Nest signin)

CamectArup

Jun 7, 2020, 5:54:55 AM6/7/20
to Camect User Forum
release/05-25
- Support google authenticator 2FA for Nest cameras that use "Sign in with Google"
- Attempt to avoid the Wyze bug that produces video streams at 360p instead of 1080p
- Removed the word "Camera" added before camera name in Google cast alert announcements
- Bug fixes for:
    - algorithm error causing a failure to detect fast moving objects
    - "quick overview of timeline" could get stuck while playing
    - dragging timeline would cause paused video player to resume playing
    - HooToo camera driver could cause problems for some SV3C cameras
    - Android tablets could stop updating when camera display is left open
    - Some old dlink cameras added manually would not accept username/password.
    - Snapshots were sometimes missing in global alert view.

Will Stillwell

Jun 7, 2020, 4:30:00 PM6/7/20
to CamectArup, Camect User Forum
Wyze report.   I did a disable / enable after my trick of going SD then HD on the app for each camera.  A couple cameras i did not have to swap to SD first.  They all came back to Camect at 1080.   In the last week I tried to do that and it failed.  This time it worked.  That is the good news.  The bad news is 3 of my 8 wyze cameras are already back to 360 after being 1080 earlier.

~Will

Will Stillwell

Jun 8, 2020, 8:43:38 AM6/8/20
to CamectArup, Camect User Forum
Out of 8 Wyze cams, 7 have reverted back to 360 again.  This is after the update.

~Will

CamectArup

Jun 8, 2020, 4:10:30 PM6/8/20
to Camect User Forum
I made a mistake in the last release and the attempted Wyze cam fix didn't actually make it out the day before yesterday. (We didn't catch the omission in testing because we can't produce the 360p problem ourselves.) I pushed the update again last night, now with a name of "release/2020-05-25-2" ... No other changes in this release. It just adds the Wyze cam change that was supposed to have been present earlier.

Will -- I think the attempted fix is actually not working, because your latest message about the reversion of resolution was after your device picked up the fix. However, just for completeness, could you try setting a few cameras back to 1080p again and, if there is a reversion, use Report Bug to report it and mention which camera reverted.  Thanks.

Will Stillwell

Jun 8, 2020, 4:58:32 PM6/8/20
to CamectArup, Camect User Forum
I suspect all of the ones that went back to 360 did so before the -2 update.   I just put them all on 1080.  It was actually easier to get them to 1080.  I didn't have to flip them to SD in the app and back.  I DID have to be viewing them in HD in the app for Camect to reconnect at 1080.   We will see how they act.   If in 24 hours they are all still 1080 I'll be surprised but happy.

~Will

On Mon, Jun 8, 2020 at 1:10 PM CamectArup <ar...@camect.com> wrote:
I made a mistake in the last release and the attempted Wyze cam fix didn't actually make it out the day before yesterday. (We didn't catch the omission in testing because we can't produce the 360p problem ourselves.) I pushed the update again last night, now with a name of "release/2020-05-25-2" ... No other changes in this release. It just adds the Wyze cam change that was supposed to have been present earlier.

Will -- I think the attempted fix is actually not working, because your latest message about the reversion of resolution was after your device picked up the fix. However, just for completeness, could you try setting a few cameras back to 1080p again and, if there is a reversion, use Report Bug to report it and mention which camera reverted.  Thanks.

Will Stillwell

Jun 9, 2020, 8:41:11 AM6/9/20
to CamectArup, Camect User Forum
All 8 Wyze cams are now back to 360.   :(

~Will

CamectArup

Jun 9, 2020, 3:08:57 PM6/9/20
to Camect User Forum
Sorry Will ... We'll continue to see if we can think of anything else to try.

Are you using your Wyze cams with _anything_ else, i.e. other than the Wyze app when doing your trick to set them to 1080p? Anything like Google Home or Alexa or any other integration? We're just wondering if there's anything else that could be changing the resolution on your cameras. The resolution Camect gets basically changes when your cameras drop the connection, forcing a reconnect from Camect - and the new connection gets 360p. It seems like you only get 1080p when you have used the app to force it to 1080p.

Also, if anyone else reading this is experiencing the same problem, please speak up. Perhaps having more than one example will give us a clue as to what could be causing it.

Will Stillwell

Jun 9, 2020, 7:11:28 PM6/9/20
to CamectArup, Camect User Forum
OK, forgot about Amazon Skill that I never use really.   Just disabled the skill.    Set the 6 that I left at 360 this morning to 1080.   We shall see what they look like in the morning.   Or bed time.

~Will

Will Stillwell

Jun 9, 2020, 10:51:38 PM6/9/20
to CamectArup, Camect User Forum
OK, Amazon Skill disabled, haven't touched the Wyze app.   Tinycam doesn't have any cameras at all anymore.  (all in Camect)   I can think of nothing else that might talk to those wyze cams.   I'll send a bug report.  4 of them are on 360, 4 are on 1080.   1 was on t080 most all day, but is now 360.   I'll do anything I can to help figure these out.  I will go through moving one to RTSP tomorrow like I was going to last week but never did.

~Will

CamectArup

Jun 10, 2020, 2:52:13 AM6/10/20
to Camect User Forum
Thanks Will ... We will keep thinking about what could be causing this, but it's definitely a puzzle right now.

It will be interesting to see what happens when you try the RTSP firmware. Note that the regular Wyze sign in process will still add the camera the non-RTSP way. To add it using RTSP, you'll need to go to home settings > device > add camera, set the type to "Stream URL", and add the RTSP url.

Will Stillwell

Jun 10, 2020, 11:42:01 AM6/10/20
to CamectArup, Camect User Forum
I really wanted to try RTSP however I have been unable to flash the firmware.   Following their instructions it never goes into the flash mode apparently.   Sigh.   I hate Wyze officially.
~Will

On Tue, Jun 9, 2020 at 11:52 PM CamectArup <ar...@camect.com> wrote:
Thanks Will ... We will keep thinking about what could be causing this, but it's definitely a puzzle right now.

It will be interesting to see what happens when you try the RTSP firmware. Note that the regular Wyze sign in process will still add the camera the non-RTSP way. To add it using RTSP, you'll need to go to home settings > device > add camera, set the type to "Stream URL", and add the RTSP url.

ZzyzxOh

Jun 10, 2020, 1:33:25 PM6/10/20
to Camect User Forum, ar...@camect.com
Will:

It seems like the RTSP Firmware step will be critical for these cameras. I reviewed the process on their support site and they note the fact the LED is a lighter Blue color when the process is "working" because both Yellow and Blue light is being emitted as part of the process. I would encourage you to go back and retry the process until you get it to work. Be sure to have a valid storage media with the renamed binary file in the root directory. The procedure mentioned by the brand is common for many simple devices but needs to be followed exactly for it to work and there are few indications when it does not. (I do not have this brand but the process is not uncommon.)

I would focus on getting one camera converted. If you are doing this over WiFi make sure you have a solid WiFi signal to the camera. I tend to limit the distance to a few meters at most and rarely attempt this bulk transfer of firmware from the normal camera position. In light of the fact your resolution is dropping, it seems possible that a weak WiFi connection could be the common cause for both the firmware upgrade challenge and the resolution reductions.

Good luck.

On Wednesday, June 10, 2020 at 11:42:01 AM UTC-4, Will wrote:
I really wanted to try RTSP however I have been unable to flash the firmware.   Following their instructions it never goes into the flash mode apparently.  ay. To add it using RTSP, you'll need to go to home settings > device > add camera, set the type to "Stream URL", and add the RTSP url.

Will Stillwell

Jun 10, 2020, 2:45:26 PM6/10/20
to ZzyzxOh, Camect User Forum, Arup Mukherjee
There is nothing network related to the firmware flash.  It is a micro SD card.   You insert the card.  You push the reset button and hold it (this is the problem).  and then plug in the power wait until that blue light.  (yes  yellow / blue).  My problem is keeping that reset button pressed until the blue light.  It always responds as if not holding in the reset that long and asks me to go through setup again instead of going to flash mode.   I suppose I'll try again.  I've already had to go through setup 5 times trying to flash it.

~Will

Eric Meeson

Jun 11, 2020, 7:54:49 PM6/11/20
to Camect User Forum
I'm happy to report that the one Wyze cam I had that would never stream at 1080p, is now happily humming along at 1080 for several days now. I had to view in HD in the app, then disable/enable in Camect, but it seems locked in to the HD now which is awesome.

Victoria Wang

Jul 9, 2020, 11:25:27 PM7/9/20
to Camect User Forum
 dragging timeline would cause paused video player to resume playing” problem still exists on iOS, android looks fine.

CamectArup

Jul 10, 2020, 9:07:03 PM7/10/20
to Camect User Forum

On Thursday, July 9, 2020 at 8:25:27 PM UTC-7, Victoria Wang wrote:
 dragging timeline would cause paused video player to resume playing” problem still exists on iOS, android looks fine.

It appears to work fine for me on iOS 13.5.1. What iOS are you using? Perhaps you could send us a video of what you see?