Difficulties commenting in camect group

Mark Jones

Mar 28, 2021, 4:47:43 AM3/28/21
to Camect User Forum
Hi all,
For some reason when i am logged in to google group via my mobile phone i can only view posts. I cannot comment on a post (Reply all) or create a new conversation as the buttons are not there.
 I am using a android phone but i have also tried on a a iPhone. Have tried multiple browsers and also left the group and re-joined. Can anyone help please as the only way is logging in with a laptop.

Arup Mukherjee

Mar 28, 2021, 4:54:04 AM3/28/21
to Camect User Forum
I believe this is a bug in google groups itself. I've tried complaining about it in the past and it seems like the kind of thing that they should care about, but so far I've had no luck. The only way I know of to make it work on a phone is to ask your browser to request the desktop version of the page.

Eric Meeson

Mar 30, 2021, 2:44:06 PM3/30/21
to Camect User Forum, CamectArup
Related so I'll drop my comment here....

Am I the only one who would prefer a proper forum to google groups? Having spent a good amount of time on standard vbulletin type forums over the years, I find groups to be a disjointed mess to use in comparison. The tagging system is much more fragmented and unintuitive when compared to having sections in a forum. The user interaction on groups is also difficult, since it is using our google credentials as the logon information. I understand having member direct messaging/viewing of each-other's contact info turned off is good for privacy, I know I prefer that myself as well, but being unable to message a specific forum member or reply specifically is frustrating. This is resolved on a forum by having a username that can be unrelated to your personal account, and the only direct point of contact is the forum admins or the forum software emailing you a notification

 The inability to edit a post is also a pain, if you realize you made a mistake the only choice is to delete the post and make a new one, further fragmenting a conversation (example, someone asks for more info, it is nice to be able to edit the info into the original post instead of having it hidden in a reply down the page).

RSJ

Mar 30, 2021, 3:13:28 PM3/30/21
to Camect User Forum, board...@gmail.com, CamectArup
I'm really surprised that Google doesn't have something better than Groups. It doesn't seem like they've updated it in years to add more options and simply make it look slicker.

CamectArup

Mar 30, 2021, 3:34:22 PM3/30/21
to Camect User Forum
Ironically, two of the problems mentioned in the thread (inability to reply from mobile, and broken tagging system) are actually because they _did_ update groups. Late last year they forced everyone to take the "new" UI, which does look slightly "slicker" but caused those two problems among others.

We're not at the point of looking to replace groups yet though. It's significantly less hassle for us to manage than other forums we've looked at, and while we do agree with the sentiment that groups is not ideal, we're also not at the point of feeling that switching forums is the best place to spend our limited time.

RSJ

Mar 30, 2021, 4:51:01 PM3/30/21
to Camect User Forum, CamectArup

Good to hear!! I'd much rather have you all spending time on what really matters, Camect! I was an early back via Indiegogo and so glad I stumbled across exactly what I'd been trying to find.

Will Stillwell

Mar 30, 2021, 5:53:34 PM3/30/21
to RSJ, Camect User Forum, CamectArup
I for one like that I can read the forum online, but REALLY like that every message comes to email.  Put it this way I will not visit the forum online only very often, but I look at the folder in my email daily.  If you want me to stay a part of it, it has to stay in email format.

If nobody cares if I am around, then feel free to move it to a forum only.

My 2 cents

~Will

RSJ

Mar 30, 2021, 6:02:24 PM3/30/21
to Camect User Forum, Will, Camect User Forum, CamectArup, RSJ
That's a great point I somewhat forgot about. I too rarely visit the forum, but have email rules which snag all the posts and push to a folder where I can browse/search later.