SmartThings integration

Levi Geinert

Mar 29, 2020, 2:07:24 PM3/29/20
to Camect User Forum
Is there an integration for Samsung SmartThings so I can take action when an alert occurs?

CamectArup

Mar 29, 2020, 3:50:02 PM3/29/20
to Camect User Forum
There is no SmartThings integration at present. It's on the list of things we'd like to do in the long term, but it's after Alexa and Google Home integration in terms of priority, and it's still going to be a while before we get Alexa.

However, we do have an integration API that anyone else can use to put together a SmartThings integration without waiting for us. We used it to do a Home Assistant integration as an example/proof of concept, and a number of people on this forum seem to find it useful.

See

Ben Flux

Mar 30, 2020, 5:35:26 PM3/30/20
to Camect User Forum
any eta on Google Home/Alexa integration?

CamectArup

Mar 31, 2020, 10:09:49 PM3/31/20
to Camect User Forum
No specific ETA. We've been working on Alexa in between other more pressing features, and we think that within a month we may get to the point that we're waiting for approval from Amazon. We don't know how long the approval will take after that.

We haven't touched Google Home yet, but that will start after Alexa is done.

Devesh Batra

Apr 14, 2020, 11:19:07 AM4/14/20
to Camect User Forum
love to see some integration with ST.. thanks

AAron nAAs

Apr 14, 2020, 9:28:52 PM4/14/20
to Camect User Forum
I'm interested in SmartThings, and have Alexa too.

I'm looking forward to either!

Rob Taft

Apr 15, 2020, 9:51:08 AM4/15/20
to Camect User Forum
+1 for SmartThings

David Hooks

Jun 22, 2020, 7:09:11 PM6/22/20
to Camect User Forum
Count my vote for a Smartthings integration as well! That would be epic!

Will Stillwell

Jun 22, 2020, 9:10:12 PM6/22/20
to David Hooks, Camect User Forum
+1 for Smartthings just switched from Wink to it a month ago.  Also curious where you are with Alexa integration?  Not sure what I would use it for just yet. ;)

~Will

CamectArup

Jun 22, 2020, 9:16:20 PM6/22/20
to Camect User Forum

On Monday, June 22, 2020 at 6:10:12 PM UTC-7, Will wrote:
+1 for Smartthings just switched from Wink to it a month ago.  Also curious where you are with Alexa integration?  Not sure what I would use it for just yet. ;)

~Will

We have made a fair amount of progress on the Alexa integration, meaning that almost all of the code is done. Some testing and tweaking remains to be done, and then the biggest remaining hurdle will be to get Amazon to actually approve the integration so that other people can see and try it. We haven't started the approval process yet, but we will soon. We of course don't control how long it will take, so we can't yet predict when the integration will be available for anyone else to try.

Brian Wilson

Jun 23, 2020, 8:50:46 PM6/23/20
to Camect User Forum
I put this together for Hubitat. Perhaps it will work for SmartThings too. Comments/Updates welcome: https://github.com/bdwilson/camect-connector

Graham Bird

Jun 24, 2020, 9:07:09 AM6/24/20
to Camect User Forum
Hi Brian,

I'll check this out, I'm in the throes of playing with Hubitat.

Cheers

Graham Bird

Jun 24, 2020, 10:32:31 AM6/24/20
to Camect User Forum
What role is Alexa integration going to play?  I went for Camect exactly BECAUSE it didn't depend on cloud storage etc.....

This and the dependency on e.g. Google login are red flags for a future that is a standalone system.

Cheers

Brian Robertson

Jun 24, 2020, 10:34:58 AM6/24/20
to Graham Bird, Camect User Forum
You won’t have to use Alexa, but will have the option. You can view video on a Show device, do integrations with smart home devices and setup routines using Alexa.

Thomas Kiesau

Nov 26, 2021, 7:23:54 PM11/26/21
to Camect User Forum, brianmr...@gmail.com, Camect User Forum, graham...@gmail.com
Any news on SmartThings integration? It's been about 18 months, so curious if this has moved up the priority list at all.

Arup Mukherjee

Nov 27, 2021, 7:00:04 PM11/27/21
to Thomas Kiesau, Camect User Forum

SmartThings has not fallen off our list, but it has not moved up either. We get few if any requests for it as we add new users. I'm just guessing, but I think that many of the users that were interested in SmartThings are using the Hubitat or Indigo Domotics instead, as our users have created integrations for both of those. For us, we are still focussed on building out a new UI and on getting a native app, since we get a lot more requests for those.

Rob Taft

Nov 27, 2021, 8:17:29 PM11/27/21
to Arup Mukherjee, Camect User Forum, Thomas Kiesau
Is there an ETA on the new UI and native app?

Will Stillwell

Nov 28, 2021, 12:05:54 PM11/28/21
to Rob Taft, Arup Mukherjee, Camect User Forum, Thomas Kiesau
Yeah +1 for native iOS app.   On android the install web as an app as fine, but no real options on iPhone that I could find.  I recently switched to an iPhone.

~Will

Joe Rose

Nov 28, 2021, 2:56:59 PM11/28/21
to Camect User Forum, CamectArup, Camect User Forum, teki...@uwalumni.com
just to chime in on this. I personally no longer need smart things integration. I have switched entirely to Camect + Homeassistant.  The HA integration today works for most use cases. The Home assistant Safari based WebRTC only works on desktop Safari when "disable ICE candidate restrictions" is selected. Something not possible on the iOS side. The camera view is unstable, I always get intermittent SSL checksum errors in the logs when trying to use the native camera capture option in HA. So the cameras only work 10% of the time that way. WebRTC is much more reliable > 95%, although it kills safari performance vs the other method. (I have the 10cpu 128gb ram iMac and it still bogs down)

My primary reasons for calling it quits on Smartthings,
When Samsung remotely "updated" the maximum camera count down to 4. I had 8 in smart things. Support said that 8 was never even possible, even confounded when their logs proved my claim.
Then Samsung remotely "updated" thier 1080p HD smart cams downgraded to 720p recording only. Then locked out owner control of the local settings portals. And again customer service said they never were capable of it!!
Next Samsung remotely "updated" and blacklisted their own original cameras!!! Support now says those camera models never existed, never were compatible!!!! Yes I know Samsung sold off Samsung Smartthings cameras to Hanwa Techwin, but still they had to take action to blacklist them and remove existing compatibility.
The last straw was cancelling the Classic smartthings app, the new app supports maybe 15% of the 200+ devices I have. The new app won't even support older smart things cameras nor the dozens of original smart things sensors I own, none of the energy monitoring, etc. $1,800 wasted on Samsung branded gear in less than 4 years, their solution was to re buy all their new stuff.

Luckily Camect works with all my 1080p Samsung smart things cameras out of the box. I would recommend not investing in the Samsung smart things line of hardware/software. Based on my experience they have zero interest in supporting it long term. Samsung  only bought smart things to sell appliances and TV's. YMMV, but this is just my experience. I also have dozens of other smaller grievances against smart things going from open source to lock down, blue tooth remotely killed, local execution handicapped to being useless, timers and actions always messing up, lights randomly turning on and waking up the babies, getting device actions for other customers hubs on my hub!!!, etc.

Joe Rose

Nov 28, 2021, 2:57:35 PM11/28/21
to Camect User Forum, Will, CamectArup, Camect User Forum, teki...@uwalumni.com, rober...@gmail.com
+1 for the native iOS app. The web app could at least use a back arrow, since iPhones lack a back button..

CamectArup

Nov 28, 2021, 11:35:45 PM11/28/21
to Camect User Forum
Collating answers for a few things here:

     Will:  To install the PWA for iOS, follow the directions on the Quick Start Guide linked off camect.com/welcome ... On iOS there is no automatic prompt for PWA installation like there is on Android.

     Joe: To go "back" in the iOS PWA, swipe right starting from the extreme left edge of the screen. This is a "standard" gesture on all iOS PWAs, although I'll grant that many people seem unaware of it.

      New web UI and native app:   Both are coming along. The V2 web UI already has most of what you need to use it day to day and is a big improvement on portrait mode phones vs the current one. The native app has basic functionality so far (view live, view footage, view alerts) and is just starting to get very basic notification support, with notifications and telegram-like management being the eventual goal. We are ready for people to try either/both now. If you'd like to see how they're coming along, sign up for the early access group here and then follow the directions in the forum heading for instructions on how to sign up to try the app. (Note: We would like to avoid confusing people, so we are asking that all discussion of the V2 UI and native app occur on the early access group until they become the default.)

ja...@sharpee.com

Jan 15, 2022, 12:53:45 PM1/15/22
to Camect User Forum, CamectArup
I am trying out SmartThings as well and was thinking I could use the Alexa functionality to bridge the two (get a "person" alert to trigger something).  Isnt quite working out yet.

-J

Richard Belleville

Jan 16, 2022, 11:27:37 AM1/16/22
to Camect User Forum, ja...@sharpee.com, CamectArup
I second this and would love to see integration !